Difference of a T5 and T8 florescent light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T8 you can grow low tech plants t5 you should be able to grow any plant
I use T8 on my 55g and get good growth

A t5 is much more powerful then a t8. I don't know how much it matters with plants but I no it means a lot with reef tanks. T5 are also a lot more expensive then t8

Bulb Differences

Have a planted 20 gal. tank, and tried ordering an 18 inch T5 but they can only get a T8. What is the difference?:confused:

Hello thom...

The obvious is the T5 is smaller. The T5 will provide brighter light over a smaller area in your tank. The T8 puts out light in a wider area, but the light isn't as intense.

For a 20 G tank that's roughly a foot tall, then a T8, 6500K bulb is fine, if you keep to plants that have lower light requirements. If you want to go a little further with lighting, then a fixture that will hold two T8 bulbs will be a little more expensive and give you the option of keeping a wider variety of plants.

The T8s are available at most of the hardware stores. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb, that's just a few dollars. T5s are going to be a little higher tech and cost more.

I'd suggest researching the lighting requirements of the plants you want and then decide how much you can comfortably spend.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Hello thom...

The obvious is the T5 is smaller. The T5 will provide brighter light over a smaller area in your tank. The T8 puts out light in a wider area, but the light isn't as intense.

For a 20 G tank that's roughly a foot tall, then a T8, 6500K bulb is fine, if you keep to plants that have lower light requirements. If you want to go a little further with lighting, then a fixture that will hold two T8 bulbs will be a little more expensive and give you the option of keeping a wider variety of plants.

The T8s are available at most of the hardware stores. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb, that's just a few dollars. T5s are going to be a little higher tech and cost more.

I'd suggest researching the lighting requirements of the plants you want and then decide how much you can comfortably spend.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

+1 agree..I use 2 T8's for low tech plants such as amazon swords, wisteria, water sprite, java fern, etc..

Back
Top Bottom