Digging into my first dirted tank ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally decided to do it! Im gonna dirt my 20 gallon long! I am ooen to any and all suggestions, tips, and advice! This is gonna be my journal/build thread as well as my ask amillion questions thread!
I will attach a pic of what he tank looks like now (sorry about tbe quality) the plan in to make a low light, low tech, low maintanence tank.
Decor:
Driftwood, rocks, and..........plants!

Fauna:
Pothos vine
2 pond plants I bought at my LFS
dwarf umbrella palm
Banana plant
Maybe crypts
Maybe java moss
Random house plant I dont know what it is

Stock:
HELP! Lol I have considered a straigt up otto tank, a betta tank, some kinda catfish, and a shrimp tank but Im open to all ideas!

Hardware:
Aqueon filter
Bubble stone on opposite end
Maybe a heater
Sunlight
Maybe one day in the distant future a small light

So what can yall tell me? I do not want to add ferts in any shape, form, or fashion. I will probably not trim plants (other than pulling dead leaves and tossing into water) and water changes will be small and infrequent.
I was thinking about using 1-2 pieces of driftwood. One would poke out of the water and probably have some plant or plants growing on it out of the water. I will slope the substrate up to one side where I will plant my umbrella palm. Probably do a gravel cap.

Thanks in advance and Go

ForumRunner_20131010_185844.jpg

d bless!

Now I feel dumb. That should be flora and not fauna -_-

I know I know. Lol do you have a dirted tank?

No, but I'm actually getting ready to start one in about a month or so. I'll be reading Diana Walstad's book and following her methods to the t. It's kind of a little experiment I've been wanting to do and I came up on a free 20 gallon from a fellow club member, so I figured hey why not. It'll be in my son's room, so if it ends up being hideous, at least I don't have to look at it all day... :lol:

No, but I'm actually getting ready to start one in about a month or so. I'll be reading Diana Walstad's book and following her methods to the t. It's kind of a little experiment I've been wanting to do and I came up on a free 20 gallon from a fellow club member, so I figured hey why not. It'll be in my son's room, so if it ends up being hideous, at least I don't have to look at it all day... :lol:

Nice! I want to read the book but its not worth 30$ lol Ill just do internet research and wing it lol
Yea my tank is in my room so I want it to look decent but it doesnt need to be living room show quality.

Following! : )

Just FYI, there's a whole section on The Planted Tank about low tech tanks. I did some reading there prior to starting mine.

I love my crypts, and they come in such variety. They do need root tabs though, I am pretty sure I'll have to use them occasionally in my nano when the nutrients in the dirt get used up. Ha, that the big downside to a closed system like an aquarium, you always have to add something!!

I bet a betta would love a heavily planted 20, maybe even tolerate some tank mates in a space that size!

The app wont let me multoquote!
I will check out tpt. I use that forum sometimes in addition to this one
At 8 bucks I may consider it :)

So I was thinking today. If this tank is my experiment tank I may go all out! The main problem I see with a dirted tank is that eventually the nutrients will be used up. I understand this doesnt apply to some nutrients that fish add but in general it will happen because it is a closed system. I was wondering how the dirt outside gets its nutrients back after plants use them. It may bd a cool project to try and replicate this in my tank!
Im sure there are more but I can only think of 2 sources of nutrients in nature: decaying plant matter, and fecal matter from animals (especially worms and stuff) so is this replicatable? I already throw the dead leaves from my plants i to the water. I could have some mts and assassin snails to add to the substrate. Just a thought what do yall think?
I was also wondering if I should use a cap or just straight up dirt. Thoughts?

If you go low tech "enough" supposedly nutrients are re-absorbed by the dirt from fish waste, decaying plant matter, and left over food. It's best to cap with 1" layer of fine gravel, or a .5-.75" layer of sand. I started reading Walstad's book last night. Two other keys to the operation being; no biological or chemical filter media(stuff like carbon, purigen, bio rings, etc.), and a split photoperiod, so carbon has a chance to re-accumulate. Oh and you need to plant it heavily from the get go, as well.

If you go low tech "enough" supposedly nutrients are re-absorbed by the dirt from fish waste, decaying plant matter, and left over food. It's best to cap with 1" layer of fine gravel, or a .5-.75" layer of sand. I started reading Walstad's book last night. Two other keys to the operation being; no biological or chemical filter media(stuff like carbon, purigen, bio rings, etc.), and a split photoperiod, so carbon has a chance to re-accumulate. Oh and you need to plant it heavily from the get go, as well.

Ok cool. No biomedia goes against my nature as an aquarist lol but I suppose.. the photoperiod will not be able to be split. It only gets natural sunlight!

Oh forgot to mention I got my soil today! Its miracle gro orgailnic garden soil.

Cool! :) I'm still trying to polish water damage out of my tanks glass. I hate getting used tanks from people who don't top off! :(

Yes it is quite annoying. I will post pics after tbe change over. Tonight or tomorrow!

I read that Tom Barr would freeze a dirt/clay/sand mixture in ice cube trays and insert the concoction (very quickly) into the substrate to replenish the dirt after some time.

I read that Tom Barr would freeze a dirt/clay/sand mixture in ice cube trays and insert the concoction (very quickly) into the substrate to replenish the dirt after some time.

Interesting. I wonder how much it helped though.

Back
Top Bottom