Digging into my first dirted tank ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I wonder how much it helped though.

I would bet quite a bit. Sorta like a massive root tab, it would contain more unused organic material for the plants to utilize.

I'm really interested to see how it goes for you! I was not brave enough to do a full on Walstad tank, I have a sponge filter, light on a timer, and use some excel in my little nano experiment.

I do like the idea of a self sustaining aquarium with minimal intervention though, neat idea. I wonder how well it would work with a really big tank like a 125 or something more stable like that....

I would bet quite a bit. Sorta like a massive root tab, it would contain more unused organic material for the plants to utilize.

I'm really interested to see how it goes for you! I was not brave enough to do a full on Walstad tank, I have a sponge filter, light on a timer, and use some excel in my little nano experiment.

I do like the idea of a self sustaining aquarium with minimal intervention though, neat idea. I wonder how well it would work with a really big tank like a 125 or something more stable like that....

Well Im almost done! It looks great! The dirt was very woody but it worked. My driftwood decided to float grrrrr..... I am very excited about it!
The filter is gonna causr issues though. Itbis a big black eyesore and it is making aquascaping difficult.

Oh and a bigger tank should work alot better even!

Oh forgot to mention I got my soil today! Its miracle gro orgailnic garden soil.

Lathe organic top soil has things in it you don't want. You may have some bad algae!! Go out into the Parking lot and get yourself some plain topsoil.

Also, I have a rainbow tetra, 6 neons, a flower shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, a Pleco, make guppy, female platy, in my 20 gallon and it is heavily planted and they love it. Oh and a betta!

Well Im almost done! It looks great! The dirt was very woody but it worked. My driftwood decided to float grrrrr..... I am very excited about it! The filter is gonna causr issues though. Itbis a big black eyesore and it is making aquascaping difficult. Oh and a bigger tank should work alot better even!

You should really screen any large organic a out. No wood chips or anything in there. Let me know if you want any advice.

Lathe organic top soil has things in it you don't want. You may have some bad algae!! Go out into the Parking lot and get yourself some plain topsoil.

Also, I have a rainbow tetra, 6 neons, a flower shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, a Pleco, make guppy, female platy, in my 20 gallon and it is heavily planted and they love it. Oh and a betta!

Very cool! Hopefully the dirt will work because it is already in....

You should really screen any large organic a out. No wood chips or anything in there. Let me know if you want any advice.

Actually, from what I've been reading, the larger bits are beneficial. As they begin to decay they become dissolved organic carbons, that can bind toxic heavy metals in the water column, making them unavailable to be absorbed by fish, which could reduce life span, activity, gill health, etc...

We put driftwood in our aquariums, why would some small wood chips hurt?

Last edited:
So filtraton will have to change. I cant take he huge aqueon anymore. I would ragher have no filtration but Im pretty sure that isnt an option :)
Pics are coming tomorrow. The tank is pretty cloudy and without sunlight it isnt easy to see.

ForumRunner_20131012_114829.jpg

Here it is! Still cloudy but I really like it! I would love some filter suggestions though.

Not enough change for pics but I have some new stuff to report. My water is the color of tea. Probably from the dirt and the driftwood. The plant hanging over the right edge is almost dead. Maybe it will recover maybe not. The blinds have been shut a few days and its been cloudy so the plants have got very little light but the growth I am seeing is very encouraging! A new leaf has sprouted on the banana plant and the palm. The tall one with big leaves in the middle has gotten taller than I have ever seen it and sprouted new growth! I have has some die off but not bad. The middle plant has a few leaves that are yellowing. Ill probably lose them but with everything Ive seen I imagine that any die off will be replaced. The banana plant pretty much all the leaves died. I may lose the vine as it didnt get placed properly. I kinda think I need sonething else in the substrate. Not sure what though.
Overall If it werebt for the tannins and ammonia spike I know is occuring I would dirt at least my 25 tall!
What livestock do yall recomend? I plan on doing minimal water changes. Like walstad recomends.

I know you mentioned you were thinking about otos. I love my otos but I can't imagine you would see them very often in a tank all by themselves lol might look very empty. Maybe you could do some otos and a male betta? Or maybe the otos and a few female bettas? Oh and also you said your filter is an eye sore (mine are too) but you could always try sponge filters and then hide them behind rocks or driftwood or even some plants? Just a thought! :) The tank looks good! Hope to see more pictures down the road!

I know you mentioned you were thinking about otos. I love my otos but I can't imagine you would see them very often in a tank all by themselves lol might look very empty. Maybe you could do some otos and a male betta? Or maybe the otos and a few female bettas? Oh and also you said your filter is an eye sore (mine are too) but you could always try sponge filters and then hide them behind rocks or driftwood or even some plants? Just a thought! :) The tank looks good! Hope to see more pictures down the road!

You will! I am removing 2 plants today as I discovered bugs ALL over them. Today had not been my day on fishtanks. Overflooded one in a water change and discovered bugs in that one.. ugh
Anyway would a betta be ok? I know they are jumpers and I dont want a dehydrated betta lol

Actually, from what I've been reading, the larger bits are beneficial. As they begin to decay they become dissolved organic carbons, that can bind toxic heavy metals in the water column, making them unavailable to be absorbed by fish, which could reduce life span, activity, gill health, etc...

We put driftwood in our aquariums, why would some small wood chips hurt?

I never remove any large pieces out of the Organic Just Natural Potting Soil I use unless they are huge or it's going in a very small tank. I've been using this method for years with excellent results and my biggest dirted tank right now is 220g.

Well there are some changes coming the emmersed plants sprouted bugs. So they are leaving. Honestly I wanted this tank for those plants. Without them I dont really care for it.
Soooo what size/shape should I replace it with under 30 gallons? I would love a fully over planted jungle. Jungle val is cool but my water is less than ideal for it. Any suggestions? My petsmart has a rimless 20 tall under 100 bucks but it comes with a cruddy marineland led.

I think the betta(s) would be fine. I have never had any try and jump out on me. I have one in a 40 gallon right now and the water level is always very high (its in the bedroom and I can't sleep hearing the filters splashing lol) and he never tries to jump. My mollie however has gotten out a few times lol but shes nuts :) Or you could try a school of tetras of your choosing or some harlequin rasboras or espei rasboras (lovely fish) or you could go a lot smaller and look into mosquito rasboras (very cute little fish) and some pygmy cories. There are just so many options!! Lol

I think the betta(s) would be fine. I have never had any try and jump out on me. I have one in a 40 gallon right now and the water level is always very high (its in the bedroom and I can't sleep hearing the filters splashing lol) and he never tries to jump. My mollie however has gotten out a few times lol but shes nuts :) Or you could try a school of tetras of your choosing or some harlequin rasboras or espei rasboras (lovely fish) or you could go a lot smaller and look into mosquito rasboras (very cute little fish) and some pygmy cories. There are just so many options!! Lol

True true. I am gonna have to wait for awhile to stock anyway though so plenty of time to think :)

What about some bamboo or pothos vine for som other plants? I just tried some rotala stem plants in my little dirted nano and they are going like gangbusters under low light plus a little natural sunshine.

And my tannins also have yet to clear... Haha, we can race to see which tank quits leaching first. ; )

I like the footprint of your current tank, I feel like it might look prettier for a partially emersed set up, taller and you'll end up with a lot of roots just dangling low into the tank.

Maybe some neo shrimp with your otos? If you get them started before the betta and give them plenty of plant cover....

Excited to see how it turns out!

What about some bamboo or pothos vine for som other plants? I just tried some rotala stem plants in my little dirted nano and they are going like gangbusters under low light plus a little natural sunshine.

And my tannins also have yet to clear... Haha, we can race to see which tank quits leaching first. ; )

I like the footprint of your current tank, I feel like it might look prettier for a partially emersed set up, taller and you'll end up with a lot of roots just dangling low into the tank.

Maybe some neo shrimp with your otos? If you get them started before the betta and give them plenty of plant cover....

Excited to see how it turns out!
I decided against emmersed plants as tge ones I have got buggy. I am gonna try all submersed!

So I got some new plants. However I am having some thoughts to put before yall. If I dont get answers here I will be forced to start a new thread :)
Basically tell me whick of these 2 options is more economical and will work well.
I want to have a completely planted tank where you can see very little to no substrate and the decor is plant covered.
So 20 tall or 20 long.
I already have a 20 long but no glass top or light.
So better to buy a 20 tall or a top and light for a 20 long? A 20 tall wont need as large a light.
I can get a rimless 20 tall with stand and marineland led for 90 bucks. (Are petsmart rimless tanks safe?)
So what will give better options and economics? Think mediumish light.

I would use the money to get a light for the 20 long. Either way you go you will need a good light fixture.

I would use the money to get a light for the 20 long. Either way you go you will need a good light fixture.

I see. What light would you recomend? I really like the current usa sat leds if they coukd work but im open to better/cheaper options.

Back
Top Bottom