dilemma with rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I picked up 2 rams from my lfs a few days ago. I had looked up quite a bit of info on how to sex them like the pink belly and shimmer through the black spots for females. I trusted the lady working there to pick me male and female. I was studying them today and they are both females :/ am I going to run into issues with this? I wanted to try and see if a male and female would spawn in my tank.. but what now ... stocking wise I don't think I have space to add 2 males.

they need to be in pairs don't they? so a trio wouldn't work.. correct?

what do you guys think I should do? they don't allow returns/exchanges after 48 hours and I missed that deadline

Maybe try your luck, bag it up take it back and say you can't find your receipt. State what you told the shop lady and crossed fingers they will swap it. But push come to shove and they dont, is there anyone else that could take the fish off your hands or even 'give' them back the shop and buy more but hopefully they will do a swap! Along as the fish is healthy looking I can't see why they wouldn't :)

Depending on the size of the tank you might be fine with a trio, 2 females and 1 male isn't as bad as 2 males and 1 female. With enough cover the odd one out will probably be o.k.

That's plenty of room, I kept 6 in a 40b for several months. There was quite a bit of conflict at first, but eventually they paired off and established territories. Any more than 2 pairs breeding at once is hectic.

I would love to do 2 pairs but I'm afraid it would be a little much with my other fish

but I did make a ram cave today :) they just don't know its for them yet lol

ForumRunner_20120304_162339.jpg

they are very social with all my other fish tho! and they are buddy's also they keep in the same relative area

It's difficult to tell from your pictures. Really need some side shots.

GBR's aren't that hard to sex if you watch them. Especially if you've got one with a pink stomach. That one is probably a female.

I would be watching the other GBR to see if he is reacting like a typical male should with a glowing girl around. If there's no sexual reaction then I'd say both are girls.

I've found it the easiest to sex them whilst at the LFS. If you can find a female with a pink belly, then watch to see what brilliant male she chooses to hang out with. There's your pair.

Here's a picture of a pair of mine taken a while back. The male is much bigger than the female. Male is upper right and female is left. When I dropped this female in with this male, they were both excited to see each other. :brows: They spawned three days later.

Please excuse the scratches in the acrylic but I thought this image would help you.

original.jpg

Back
Top Bottom