Dirt vs eco complete!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dirted tank vs. eco complete substrate tank! Im thinking about dirting my 10 gallon tank! Ive heard about eco complete and may be considering that! Tell m ewhat you guys think and what you would do!

I've had both and find the Eco-complete easier to deal with in the beginning. Rivercats has dirted tanks and does very well with them. Just personal preference I guess.

Idk I'm leaning towards Eco complete but i really wanna do dirt! Uggh

I have all planted tanks and they are all either dirted with an Eco cap or are just plain Eco complete. Both work very well individually or used together. Eco is cleaner to use and less work than dirt. It's just a matter of choice.

Dirt with eco complete cap works great, however I wouldn't recommend dirt if you're the type that likes to move plants around.

The only time dirt can be an issue with moving plants is when you want to move deep rooting plants like swords and crypts. Even then if you do it gently and slowly the mess can be kept minimal. I am constantly moving, pulling up plants and replanting tops in my dirted tanks.

For the record I have to say that for those of you who don't have the experience with dirted tanks and who prefer to not take the risk of going through the absolute headache of having one, then run....do not walk from the pita of having one. I researched and planned and was absolutely convinced that that's what I wanted. Over a year later I was so sick of it that I did a complete overhaul. I got rid of that mess and I've never been happier. IMO the benefits, if any, are far outweighed by the issues. Sure, if you devote enough time to anything it should work for you. Just depends on your level of devotion I guess. Having removed all that mess, I now have a nice, neat planted tank that I can enjoy, and I don't have to worry about creating a mud hole if I want to change something around. And even with dirt, you still have to use root tabs. You just avoid the inevitable mess when you do need to bury them. Ok, done venting now.

I switched all three of my tanks from ecco complete or fluorite to dirt base with fluorite or ecco complete topping. I use the fluorite with the highest iron content. I would never go back, dirt is the way to go and the plants love it. good luck keep us posted.

Lol All preference I see!!! I just recently went dirted with eco & flourish mix cap myself. Crazy Highlight(324w) high-tech
On a 75g. I have noticed considerable growth difference with the new dirt base. I would say definite pros and cons to both sides of this fence. More importantly what is your goal? Base your decision on that.

Back
Top Bottom