Dirty tank problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing PWC at about 20%. I have a Kent marine with two T5 lights that run in the day, the tank is not in direct sun light yet I have a constant problem with a dirty tank as you can see in pic. I clean the inside of the glass but there is some green alge that I just can't get off. I get the brown on the sand every day. All my levels are good, salt level is now good. Corals have been closed for a week or more now and not opened, is there any thing I can do?

Would I be better with the power head pointing to top or the water or move the pump to the bottom of the tank so it moves the water at the bottom better?

image-2437117503.jpg

You should add a small protein skimmer... It really helps if you have a UV light if not dirty water may lead to algae issues as well...

I would check my nitrates and phosphates. Both catalysts for nuisance algae. But considering you said both are in check I would Also make sure you are using RO/DI or RO water. If all else fails I would use bright well aquatics reef biofuel for a couple months to help in balancing nutrient levels. Good Luck.

Craigj247 said:
You should add a small protein skimmer... It really helps if you have a UV light if not dirty water may lead to algae issues as well...

I have got a skimmer in already

Got carbon and normal filtration with slimmer in chamber 3.

Have you got ceramic or bio balls in the filtration... I would recommend getting in a uv light... It will kill any harmful bacteria that can cause algae in the tank... Does your tank temp fluctuate at anytime? The diatoms will clear up once the cycle is finished that is not an issue but for the algae on the glass you need to run a uv light... Also clean the glass on a daily basis... By displacing the algae the water circulation will run it through the skimmer or filter... Are there micro bubbles coming in to the tank from the skimmer?

Craigj247 said:
Have you got ceramic or bio balls in the filtration... I would recommend getting in a uv light... It will kill any harmful bacteria that can cause algae in the tank... Does your tank temp fluctuate at anytime? The diatoms will clear up once the cycle is finished that is not an issue but for the algae on the glass you need to run a uv light... Also clean the glass on a daily basis... By displacing the algae the water circulation will run it through the skimmer or filter... Are there micro bubbles coming in to the tank from the skimmer?

Bio balls I think. It's a Kent Marine that comes with 4 chambers at the back. Not sure how I can fit a UV light to this tank. There have been some bubbles out of the skimmer. Can work out best place for the carbon bag.

Well I run my uv light out side of my tank and use a regular power head to pump the water out... The micro bubbles could be the cause for the algae depending on the amount that is coming back into the tank... Usually the skimmer expels micro bubble when it hasn't broken in properly yet... Each skimmer takes a different time breaking in depending on the make and size... Either way I would not recommend letting the bubbles come in to the tank... Cause the skimmer bubbles hold lots of waste matter from the tank and if the bubbles are entering your tank that means that oxygenated waste and bacteria is entering your tank... May be move the skimmer to one of the compartments further up so that the micro bubble are expelled before the water come in to the return outlet... Have you also tried changing the test kit you use... It is not uncommon for test kits to read falsely... It had happened to me in the past too... I think move the skimmer up a chamber... Try and get a uv light and maybe try a new teat kit and see how the readings show up...

He is right I bought a bunch of UVs on CL and a protein skimmer is a must.

Have done a couple of water changes and cleaned filter and seems much better but still corals not come out....

I now have a red algae growing on te inside of my glass, what would that be?

^^ +1

You're getting algae from too much nutrients in the water. Decrease your feeding amount and/or schedule.

Back
Top Bottom