Disappearing Angelfish Younglings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 tanks: a 55g, a high 40g, amd 2 10gs. 10g: empty; 10g: 1 female betta, 4 white cloud mountian minnows; 40g: 50-60 krib fry, 6 white clouds; 55g: 1 pair breeding angelfish, 4 ottos, 3 bronze cories, 2 young krib females, 1 badis badis, and 1 clown loach.
It is the angelfish that are giving me the trouble. I removed the massive threats to their fry quickly after they began getting aggressive. There were more kribs and the betta and another angelfish. Once they were gone, and it was just the angels and mostly catfish, they spawned. Only a small portion hatched, and days later they were all gone. They never reached the free-swimming stage. About a week later they spawned again. These eggs mostly fungused up and then I ASSUME the angels aborted the brood as most of the eggs were lost to fungus. What do I do next? I have the space to raise a brood on my own I think, and if not I can make the space. Any advice would be helpful. I'm new to angel breeding. Thanks

get a 10 gallon tank fill with the water they were layed in. put 2 tsp of methain blue in.put a heater in 79 to 80. put a sponge filter in. lay an air stone on the bottom . turn over what ever they layed eggs on so the eggs are facing down towards the bubbles. 3 days later your eggs hatch. this is the short version so pm me if i can help. im shure andy will chime in soon and add his advice

get a 10 gallon tank fill with the water they were layed in. put 2 tsp of methain blue in.put a heater in 79 to 80. put a sponge filter in. lay an air stone on the bottom . turn over what ever they layed eggs on so the eggs are facing down towards the bubbles. 3 days later your eggs hatch. this is the short version so pm me if i can help. im shure andy will chime in soon and add his advice

Only advice I would add to Bob's is to keep the other fish, ALL the other fish, out of the fry tank. No need for catfish as you should be doing this in a bare bottomed tank. Siphon any detritus out with a piece of clear airline tubing. It's simple! ;) Feel free to PM me as well if you have questions and Bob's not available :brows::D

As for breeding, it's best done with no other fish in the tank. Other fish are a distraction to a spawner and may account for why the second batch didn't hatch. The first batch probably got eaten by the catfish that night. Just my thoughts on the subject :D

Back
Top Bottom