discouraged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read that once marine salt is added it doesn't evap or go anywhere. So how come when I do a water change and take a reading after my salinity is where its supposed to be, but a couple days later they don't read at all?
Also, my tank walls are slimey looking...
does this happen a lot with brackish?

um think you missed the question...
I add the salt when I do a water change..what I am saying is immediately after the water change my salinity reads on my hydrometer...then a couple of days later it doesn't register on the hydrometer...and why so much slime white on the glass??? is this normal?

Oh ok. I don't know, I've never had that happen with mine, but I just use a cheap hydrometer also. I don't see where the salt would go, though. As far as slime goes, sounds like biofilm, but could have some algae growth also, I've seen some that is a nasty whitish brownish gunk.

when is the best time to take a salinity reading with the meter? before, after, waterchanges...or a few days?

With my brackish tank I just added a small amount of each day until I got the SG that I wanted. I could've calculated the amount of salt needed per water change but instead I just refilled the tank at WC and figured out again how much salt to add with the fresh water to get to that same SG again. Since I take out a set amount each time now (~40%) I already know how much salt I need to add when I do the WC, so I just measure it out, dilute it, and add it.

Back
Top Bottom