Discus.. 2 questions pls answer!!! Thankyou!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Question number 1:

How many discus should i keep in a 180 litre/ 45 gallon tank?
Im starting with juveniles ... 4/6?

Number 2:

Can i keep a pleco with my discus??? Any suggestions (small one)?

P.S. in tank already 4 corys and 5 tetras (1 big buenos aeris :()

Thankyou!

Starting out with discus

Hello,

My question is i am starting with discus, i have a 45 gallon tank with 5 tetras and 4 corys, how many discus can i have? Im starting them at 2.5".
Thankyou!

P.S. Can i keep a small pleco with discus if so what type?

Well, to be honest with you I don't recommend keeping discus in anything smaller than a 55g tank. That is the ideal tank to grow out 6-10 juvies until they are 5" each or so. You need to keep them in groups of 5 or more for them to feel comfortable, unless you have a mated pair but those are more expensive and I'm assuming you don't want to start with those.

Don't get me wrong, you can keep the juvies there for some time but they will eventually require more space and a larger tank. For a group of 6 I stongly recommend a 75g tank as the minimum.

You can keep plecos with discus. Generally BN plecos are kept with them since they stay small at around 5" max and that's a large BN pleco. You could keep two of those in your tank. They seem to tolerate the higher temps that discus require. I've had my BN plecos in 94 degree water before with no issues seen in 10 days at that temp.

You should go with a bare bottom tank according to most experts when growing out discus. That's the way that all do it and that's the way I do it as well. You can still keep live plants. What I do is put them in clay flower pots with Eco Complete or something similar.

I have had a BN pleco in my 75 gal heavily planted discus tank for 3 years with no problems. I keep my discus tank at 85F. Most discus experts do recommend growing out discus with a bare bottom tank. I did not do that as a personal preference. I will tell you that having substrate and plants with juvies can make cleaning the tank a bit more difficult. So be prepared if you do not want a bare bottom tank.

I recommend 75 gals for discus as a minimum, I've watched how they like to chase each other as they grow and create territories and more space is better than less space. They are cichlids after all and will become somewhat aggressive to each other as time goes on.

You said you are starting out with 4/6 Juvie's.... In all honesty your Juvie's will do better in a larger group than four, I would recommend 5/6 as a min with 6 being more preferred.

I try to keep my Discus tank at 86 to 88 for Juvies and 84 to 86 for Adults.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom