discus and substrate color ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Question.. I was thinking of removing the regular tanish colored pebbles I use for substrate in my discus tank.. to the midnight (black) floramax to make a better contrast of color in my tank.. But im not sure if discus would be effected by substrate color.. I heard they do but im not sure... I have 2 pigeon subtypes which are sunset orange they do pepper.. The of my discus are blue turquoise and Blue Snakeskin and a Leopard snakeskin. What do you guys think ? Do the current rocks look ok or do you think black would look better ? And instead of buying new rocks.. I was thinking of transferring them from my 27g to this tank.. I have like 3-4 inches of floramax in that tank.. So it should fill this one up that way I also don't loose a lot of BB

img_3126169_0_eba67c1391c35ecdfe20dc9fee4f7617.jpg

I like the natural look...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

And I like a black substrate look ....
It's just personal choice but I expect the discus won't mind either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They r just happy to be there lol

Discus tend to start peppering when they have dark substrate. But seeing how the tank is unsuitable for them anyways, go for it.

you wanna buy me a 120g tank ill give you my donation link.. Im not asking your opinion if my tank meets your requirements im asking about the substrate.. My discus have been fine in this tank for months now.. and they all have grown around an inch in the last 2 months... You and a million other people keep *****ing about my tank length.. listen give it a rest how many times must you repeat yourself ? stick to the mother fing topic.. So sick of this crap

you wanna buy me a 120g tank ill give you my donation link.. Im not asking your opinion if my tank meets your requirements im asking about the substrate.. My discus have been fine in this tank for months now.. and they all have grown around an inch in the last 2 months...

the other option would have been buying fish suited for the tank you can afford. lets not turn this into another heated debate. Do as you wish

you wanna buy me a 120g tank ill give you my donation link.. Im not asking your opinion if my tank meets your requirements im asking about the substrate.. My discus have been fine in this tank for months now.. and they all have grown around an inch in the last 2 months... You and a million other people keep *****ing about my tank length.. listen give it a rest how many times must you repeat yourself ? stick to the mother fing topic.. So sick of this crap

just to add, we arent attacking you we are interested in "ethical fish keeping" and ethically they should be a properly sized tank. if you are not interested in ethical fish keeping you may want to refrain from use of this board for that specific tank as in the community rules it does state "ethical fishkeeping" as a requirement. This isnt a personal attack, I'm just saying.

This isn't on topic about the substrate but in regards to buying a larger tank, you should check out craigslist daily. People are always trying to push large aquariums they no longer need or want and will basically give them away. I got my 150 with a stand, fx5, media, two marineland doublebrights, heaters, he ordered the sand for it and painted the back of the tank for me all for $500. He even tried giving me all these decorations and wanted to throw in some fish but I didn't want any of them.

I DO NOT HAVE MONEY FOR A LARGER TANK... Omg seriously you have no clue about my financial situation.. I lost my Job 4,000$ in debt (credit cards maxed) none of this is any of your business anyway but im telling you so you can please STOP *****ing about my tank size.. And 44g IS PLENTY for 2 inch discus... Don't talk to me about Ethics because you think a 55g is min for these fish.. Don't judge me or my fish keeping.. You cant say im being cruel to these fish because in reality they are Juvinial fish and this tank is plenty big enough for them currently.. They eat, they swim around and school, they don't have stress bars, or hide... Clearly they are happy. And im not cramming them into a 20g or 30g tank that's so narrow and shallow they cant even swim

Do you have scientific proof of this, are you a Mind reader ? A fish whisperer ? the 44g is plenty for now and im not changing it they are Juvinial fish, and once they get bigger my plans were to split the group into my 55g down stairs... You guys don't know Jack s about my plans or my finances or anything about me.. which is why im asking to stay on topic about substrate color... I never asked your opinions on purchasing a larger fish tank... Do you not think if I could afford it I would happily get a 120g tank ? I have to work with what I have... I couldn't afford DISCUS HANS show quality fish, so I got fish from Craigslist.. or from Petco for $20 or around there.. I remember when I got my Blue Turquoise the big one in the picture.. I got him for $20.. was sick.. broken arm, slim coat was heavy.. dark as asphault and wouldn't eat for weeks... Now look at him.. hes my biggest discus.. he bright.. beautiful, the alpha, hes grown almost 2inche in the last 3-4 months... And I remember when people were bashing me hardcore for getting him.. saying I was cruel.. I should have let him die.. he was a poor quality discus blah blah blah..

I DO NOT HAVE MONEY FOR A LARGER TANK... Omg seriously you have no clue about my financial situation.. I lost my Job 4,000$ in debt (credit cards maxed) none of this is any of your business anyway but im telling you so you can please STOP *****ing about my tank size.. And 44g IS PLENTY for 2 inch discus... Ethical HAHAHA

no one has asked for financial information, we are all just concerned for the discus. if this is treated as a grow out tank for a few months im sure it will be fine with many water changes and constantly checking out levels.

ethical fish keeping refers to keeping fish in the proper humane environment to optimize growth and health. (this can be referred to the community rules section of this website located on the home page, im sure mods could also answer any questions as well).

Id also like to point out my comments were not about your financial situation, rather maybe switching your stock around to a more tank friendly stock.

no one has asked for financial information, we are all just concerned for the discus. if this is treated as a grow out tank for a few months im sure it will be fine with many water changes and constantly checking out levels.

ethical fish keeping refers to keeping fish in the proper humane environment to optimize growth and health. (this can be referred to the community rules section of this website located on the home page, im sure mods could also answer any questions as well).

Id also like to point out my comments were not about your financial situation, rather maybe switching your stock around to a more tank friendly stock.

Doesn't matter if you asked for it or not.. When someone tell me to go on craigslist and buy a $500 120g tank for them or to complain about the size of my tank I thought id throw out some financial numbers... do you get what im talking about here ? The tank has 6 discus in it.. only 1 is near 4 inches.. The others are barely 2 some are maybe 3 inches now.. And the 4 incher that I have I got him for $20 from petco sick... skinny, ich, broken arm, heavy slim coat and solid black... He wouldn't eat for weeks.. got picked on 24/7.. I had to separate him and put him in my 27g hexagon for a month to get him to eat and recoup.. people bashed me on this forum for buying him because I felt sorry for him and I knew I could rescue him telling me I was wrong for buying a poor quality fish...

Look at him now.. hes the blue turqoiuse in my picture by the slate rock in the middle.. Can you still say that ? I don't think so.. I clearly know what im doing to an extent, and as I said this tank isn't a Perm home for all of them.. I plan to split them up into a larger tank when I can afford it and when they get bigger.

I know how big discus get I live near Baltimore I have been to discus hans's little warehouse.. Do you think im stupid and I would keep 6 adults in this tank ? You know when breeders keep these fish and grow them for 8 months .. do you know the size of the tanks they use in that time lol ? Even discus hans.. packs 20 of them in 40g tanks... Are you going to call PETA on him about ethics ?

Doesn't matter if you asked for it or not.. When someone tell me to go on craigslist and buy a $500 120g tank for them or to complain about the size of my tank I thought id throw out some financial numbers... do you get what im talking about here ? The tank has 6 discus in it.. only 1 is near 4 inches.. The others are barely 2 some are maybe 3 inches now.. And the 4 incher that I have I got him for $20 from petco sick... skinny, ich, broken arm, heavy slim coat and solid black... He wouldn't eat for weeks.. got picked on 24/7.. I had to separate him and put him in my 27g hexagon for a month to get him to eat and recoup.. people bashed me on this forum for buying him because I felt sorry for him and I knew I could rescue him telling me I was wrong for buying a poor quality fish...

Look at him now.. hes the blue turqoiuse in my picture by the slate rock in the middle.. Can you still say that ? I don't think so.. I clearly know what im doing to an extent, and as I said this tank isn't a Perm home for all of them.. I plan to split them up into a larger tank when I can afford it and when they get bigger.

I know how big discus get I live near Baltimore I have been to discus hans's little warehouse.. Do you think im stupid and I would keep 6 adults in this tank ? You know when breeders keep these fish and grow them.. do you know the size of the tanks they use lol ? Even discus hans.. packs 20 of them in a 40g tank... Are you going to call PETA on him about ethics ?

you merely growing them out in this tank would have been good information at the beginning. just out of curiosity what is your water change schedule. I know these animals have intense needs.

You keep throwing around tank sizes. Do you have a 44 gallon or a 27 gallon? Also, calm down dude. If other people constantly get on you about tank size and the care of the fish then alright...it's a forum, ignore them. I don't care about your financial situation nor was I yelling at you to get another tank. I was just pointing out that a lot of times you can get a great deal on Craigslist.

Just to diffuse the situation and not get into a pissing match I'd say since painting the back of a hexagon tank isn't very practical I'd switch the substrate to a darker color. Black would look nice but even just a darker brown if you want the more natural look.

Yes I was talking about the natural look like you have... That's what I have in my discus tank.....

Joefish...

Also with black gravel I have seen the color chip off of fade over time....... I guess it's the quality of gravel you buy

Joefish...

If the speech about your financial status is correct then you have some seriously out of whack priorities spending more money on fish.

Back
Top Bottom