Discus coming tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess i assumed that when i said conditioned tap vs. RO it meant conditioned tap = 7.0- 8ph, and RO= below 7.0ph. Should've elaborated a lil.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

DISCUS LOVERS UNITE!!! 1429428018572.jpg

Attachments

• 1429428005657.jpg
    1429428005657.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 1429428047270.jpg
    1429428047270.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 1429428085932.jpg
    1429428085932.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 66
Thank you for checking my sources, and yes by far they have the best, healthiest, heartiest discus ive ever bought. Josephine and miranda rock. They are second to none.

Agreed.

The fish I ordered I floated for 45 min and put straight in the tAnk. Somethingsphishy said they put a mild sedative in the water and to not put any water in the tank! It's been 5 days and mine are still going strong! I love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well if it helps, I have just learned a lot here, sometimes it helps to have different opinions, nice when it all ends amicably......

PoppaRyno, your fish are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your expert advice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

PoppaRyno, your fish are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your expert advice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He is obviously doing something right! Those fish are stunning!

He is obviously doing something right! Those fish are stunning!

ok I'm NOT a discus expert(I have some), but have spoken with very knowledgable discus keepers.
Kris ; sorry your discus are stunted.
They are shaped more like a football then circle.
That is why PR fish look better.
So sometimes quality isn't only in "if they live",but what you are given to work with.
Mine are stunted too and I still dig them.
Discus are WAY tougher then most think.
They do just fine in ANY water if dripped.
You want sensitive fish try GBR (also genetically weak to begin with!).
Hope you enjoy them and the rest of you boys......This was an entertaining read!(y)

ok I'm NOT a discus expert(I have some), but have spoken with very knowledgable discus keepers.
Kris ; sorry your discus are stunted.
They are shaped more like a football then circle.
That is why PR fish look better.
So sometimes quality isn't only in "if they live",but what you are given to work with.
Mine are stunted too and I still dig them.
Discus are WAY tougher then most think.
They do just fine in ANY water if dripped.
You want sensitive fish try GBR (also genetically weak to begin with!).
Hope you enjoy them and the rest of you boys......This was an entertaining read!(y)
Dang, now I have to wonder if the discus I got from somethingsphishy were stunted as well! Next time I'm going to get them from somewhere different...

^+1^ with the eyes also.
I wasn't trying to be mean but also don't want kris to wonder what he is doing wrong forever when it is not on him at all.
As I mentioned my discus are stunted also and I dig them.
Under my care they have never lived in less then a 180g aquarium.
Also agree more then any besides breeders can understand with same fry growing at different rates.Some will double even triple their sibblings size.

I hope everyone embraces discus. They are stunning and one of a kind personalities. The fish i have are fantastic because i do research before i buy. 60, 70, 100, 500$, i dont care abt the price as much as the quality. I will exhaust the breeder i get them from with questions. I, as a breeder expect the same. Infact i love it. It means you care. I wasnt trying to be a butt, but scaring people over discus isnt the way to guy. Encourage, help relax, and inform. Thats whats the best. If you keep a good aquarium, then you know your parameters. Acclimation isnt rocket science. Just want to help and encourage new discus keepers. Opposite opinions are good as it helps someone derive different ways to go about things. Or even adapt their own way. Hope all have luck, and happy tanking. Thank you guys. You are the reason im here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a few new discus from petco and still have 3 left from somethingsphishy. We're going to keep building our numbers and the research will go on as planned. Please continue to keep us in the loop though OP!

These are my very first discus, I've done my research but my experience is about 1 weeks worth now so don't take my advice! I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong! Everyone on here knows more than me and I'm enjoying hearing about it lol. The first pic of my discus I posted was a few hours after I put them in the tank. They seem to be doing very well now, all eating and healthy as far as I can tell. I don't know exactly what stunted means but either way I'm keeping em lol I'm attached!!! I have 6 all together but I haven't taken many pics! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429488512.350715.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429488532.966987.jpg

Remember folks, as im sure most are aware, discus or anything for that matter has guidelines not pre-sets for how theyll look. Im 5'11", my brothers are 5'3" & 6'2". One has different colored hair. Just as in humans, all are a lil different. Thats what makes some very special. Bottom line is as a fish keeper are you hapoy with your fish.

Remember folks, as im sure most are aware, discus or anything for that matter has guidelines not pre-sets for how theyll look. Im 5'11", my brothers are 5'3" & 6'2". One has different colored hair. Just as in humans, all are a lil different. Thats what makes some very special. Bottom line is as a fish keeper are you hapoy with your fish.

Well said! I love your fish! Two of mine are peppered and also apparently stunted and that's ok because I'll make sure from here on out they are well taken care of :) thanks for all the advice :)

These are my very first discus, I've done my research but my experience is about 1 weeks worth now so don't take my advice! I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong! Everyone on here knows more than me and I'm enjoying hearing about it lol. The first pic of my discus I posted was a few hours after I put them in the tank. They seem to be doing very well now, all eating and healthy as far as I can tell. I don't know exactly what stunted means but either way I'm keeping em lol I'm attached!!! I have 6 all together but I haven't taken many pics! View attachment 270464View attachment 270465

They look good so far. Your doin great. Keep it up, and im sure( 100% ) that your pleased with them, he he. So if you need anything any of us should be glad to help.

Back
Top Bottom