Discus coming tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please dont take this wrong. Marlboros are common. Not trying to be rude. Petco gets nothing rare. List of 3 worst places to buy fish. Wal-mart, petco, petsmart. All have centralized filter systems. One thing wrong with parameters = all tanks wrong parameters. 1 sick fish = all have been exposed. plus their stock is sub standered and generally would be culled if done by anyone with more sense than the aquatic version of a puppy mill.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't seen a Marlboro in this area ever... So they aren't common to me lol.. The common discus are Blue Turqs, or red Turqs..

Ah, sorry guys. I didnt think first. I get all mine from breeders. Didnt think abt store selection.

I need to stop looking at all these discus threads. Now I want some.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They look good so far. Your doin great. Keep it up, and im sure( 100% ) that your pleased with them, he he. So if you need anything any of us should be glad to help.

Here are a few more pics of my fish! Maybe you can see more if they are stunted, the pigeons are peppered quite a bit but that's ok, I may change my background in the future. The last pic is the "runt" discus he seems to be the loner and isn't quite as active. He hides more than anything ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429561898.332465.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429561961.063823.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429561994.964080.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429562042.963777.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not an expert, top pick looks stunted, rest look a little stressed.. what are you doing for wc's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I left him out! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429562327.915236.jpg
I'm not sure the exact stains of any of them

You have a few Leopard Discus it looks like.. and the good thing is they are still coloring up so they aren't stunted that's for sure.. The Pigeon Bloods though.. I see you have 2 of them.. Its hard to tell from the one in the back but your first picture that pigeon is deff stunted.. He will still grow but im not sure how big he will get.. he wont get max size though.. The rest of them look good to me. I really like that Leopard discus in the 2nd pic

Discus are always stressed from shipments.. It can take them weeks to act normal. So them hiding or not eating is normal for the most part at least to a degree.

What kind of foods are you feeding them and are they all eating ? Or do you have some that are spitting food out or wont eat at all ? Also what is the temperature of the water, and you need to do daily or every 2 days water changes.. How big is this tank again ? Depending on the size you will want to do at least 50% water change every day, or 70-80% every 2-3 days like I do.. You need to keep the water clean and fresh, and nitrates 20 or lower. If the nitrates get too high it stresses them out and they can turn dark. Same with the temps if they are too low it can stress them out. They need to be fed at least 3 times a day.. At least.

I have discus that like tetramin flakes, most of mine love beefheart, and they all like bloodworms too, Freezedried bloodworms they will eat but hesitantly. So I feed my discus 3 types of foods.. 2x a day beef heart with 2x cubes of frozen blood worms, and then I feed them flakes 1 time a day.. So in total 3 feedings, with 3 types of foods.

Also the strains I see you have are.. 2x Pigeon Bloods, 1x Blue Turquoise, and 2x Leopard Snakeskin Discus. The last one on your first set of pics where he looks a little green and dark.. I cant tell what he is

55gals is fine

Mmmm, how many do you think I could have in a 60? What other fish would I be able to keep with them? Angels? Guppies?What is the minimum number I should have?

You have a few Leopard Discus it looks like.. and the good thing is they are still coloring up so they aren't stunted that's for sure.. The Pigeon Bloods though.. I see you have 2 of them.. Its hard to tell from the one in the back but your first picture that pigeon is deff stunted.. He will still grow but im not sure how big he will get.. he wont get max size though.. The rest of them look good to me. I really like that Leopard discus in the 2nd pic

Discus are always stressed from shipments.. It can take them weeks to act normal. So them hiding or not eating is normal for the most part at least to a degree.

What kind of foods are you feeding them and are they all eating ? Or do you have some that are spitting food out or wont eat at all ? Also what is the temperature of the water, and you need to do daily or every 2 days water changes.. How big is this tank again ? Depending on the size you will want to do at least 50% water change every day, or 70-80% every 2-3 days like I do.. You need to keep the water clean and fresh, and nitrates 20 or lower. If the nitrates get too high it stresses them out and they can turn dark. Same with the temps if they are too low it can stress them out. They need to be fed at least 3 times a day.. At least.

I have discus that like tetramin flakes, most of mine love beefheart, and they all like bloodworms too, Freezedried bloodworms they will eat but hesitantly. So I feed my discus 3 types of foods.. 2x a day beef heart with 2x cubes of frozen blood worms, and then I feed them flakes 1 time a day.. So in total 3 feedings, with 3 types of foods.

Also the strains I see you have are.. 2x Pigeon Bloods, 1x Blue Turquoise, and 2x Leopard Snakeskin Discus. The last one on your first set of pics where he looks a little green and dark.. I cant tell what he is

I have been feeding them cobalt discus flakes, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen and freeze dried blood worms. They are all eating however the one in the last picture is kinda slow and I've noticed him darting real quick on plants then being still I see no ich hmmm

Mmmm, how many do you think I could have in a 60? What other fish would I be able to keep with them? Angels? Guppies?What is the minimum number I should have?

No no no Angels.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have been feeding them cobalt discus flakes, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen and freeze dried blood worms. They are all eating however the one in the last picture is kinda slow and I've noticed him darting real quick on plants then being still I see no ich hmmm

Could be something irritating him in the water or it could be flukes, you said you use root tabs right ? Last time I used API's root tabs they dissolved in the water collum i noticed.. So i dunno i know discus are sensitive to ferts.. Also what is your temperature and nitrates ?

Brine shrimp has no nutritional value for discus this size.. You only should feed them that when they are very very small.. Try some Beefheart, and frozen bloodworms.. Mine never liked freezedried too much.. they ate it, but freeze dried isn't too great.

I had my discus in my 44g pentagon for months.. they were fine, but i just kept buying more and more discus and became too cramped.. A 55g is fine for them.. I also had them early on in my 55g with my angle fish and the angels and them were fine..

You want to stay away from fast moving fish like rainbow fish, don't put rainbow sharks with them.. I personally just have Neons/Cardinals, electric blue rams, cories, Otto's, and some Siamese algae eaters.. And i have no issues..

Could be something irritating him in the water or it could be flukes, you said you use root tabs right ? Last time I used API's root tabs they dissolved in the water collum i noticed.. So i dunno i know discus are sensitive to ferts.. Also what is your temperature and nitrates ?

Brine shrimp has no nutritional value for discus this size.. You only should feed them that when they are very very small.. Try some Beefheart, and frozen bloodworms.. Mine never liked freezedried too much.. they ate it, but freeze dried isn't too great.

I had my discus in my 44g pentagon for months.. they were fine, but i just kept buying more and more discus and became too cramped.. A 55g is fine for them.. I also had them early on in my 55g with my angle fish and the angels and them were fine..

You want to stay away from fast moving fish like rainbow fish, don't put rainbow sharks with them.. I personally just have Neons/Cardinals, electric blue rams, cories, Otto's, and some Siamese algae eaters.. And i have no issues..

I have 6 neons and a clown pleco with them and that's all I plan on getting and also mine don't seem to like the freeze dried as well either. I put the root tabs in last over a month ago so I don't think that's it although it could be. Nitrates aren't over 5ppm and my ph has been at 7.0-7.2. I have done about 30-40% water changes every day. I think I should possibly go ahead and treat them for parasites and stuff?

All this is just my opinion , butI would run with no more than 6. And that number is only 6 if your not intending to breed. They like groups.. safety in numbers i guess. I keep BN plecos, and guppies with mine(only 1 trio though). Ive kept them with angels, rams, bettas, tetras, hillstream loaches, syno's. Its all relative to your space, hoding spots, size, tempermant etc..... but i have never kept more than 6 in a 55. And usually they are moved by the time they're 6" or more.

I also move any angels chillin with them before they are old enough to breed. Angels can and will be aggressive if they want to or have spawned. And discus are way to gentle for that.

All this is just my opinion , butI would run with no more than 6. And that number is only 6 if your not intending to breed. They like groups.. safety in numbers i guess. I keep BN plecos, and guppies with mine(only 1 trio though). Ive kept them with angels, rams, bettas, tetras, hillstream loaches, syno's. Its all relative to your space, hoding spots, size, tempermant etc..... but i have never kept more than 6 in a 55. And usually they are moved by the time they're 6" or more.

He has 6, so he has a good group size.. I have 10 In my 92g Corner tank, i noticed as i got more and more from 2 to 4-6-8-11 ect.. They all school together and aggression is cut way down.

As for you Kris your water seems fine, what are your temps ?? I don't think you've mentioned that.. I would just go ahead deworm the tank.. Get some PraziPro for gill flukes and skin flukes. All it takes is one or two teespoon depending on the size of your tank and you don't add anymore in for a week (unless you do water changes in between). After Prazi pro i would get Metronidazole.. Make sure its 100% Metro.. Seachem sells 100% metronidazole in little tiny tubes kinda expensive though and that will take care of any internal parasites.

I was answering to the 2 that asked abt keeping discus in a 55 or 60.

Back
Top Bottom