Discus Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm .... maybe i need one of those too ...... LOL ... even more explaining to do now ..... :mrgreen:

OMG Bill. That book for $40. That's a steal. The book is my bible. Anyone interested in discus should pick it up.

To the other Bill........LOL. DE - Diatomacious Earth.

That one is larger than mine. I paid around $100 from bigalsonline. The elite is probably way overkill for aquarium use. More than likely great for ponds though.

Brian,

I was talking to the owner of my favorite fish store. He used to breed discus full time with 12 well established pairs and he really knows his stuff. He said that I could change about 80-90% of my water with no problem. According to him if the PH is near the same and the filters are all established it should'nt decimate the bacterial filter and might help clear the water.

I added the large Hydro Sponge to my tank in hopes of helping. any opinions on what he said.

I know that many asian discus breeders change 100% daily. They do this from a continuous drip system. Personally, I think it's very risky unless you're using aged water, and you're certain of the pH match. JMO

On a side note here..... Changing 80-100% of the water daily would mean that you probably wouldn't need any filtration at all. There wouldn't be enough time for ammonia to build up before the next change.

yeah 100% water changes make me nervous. I have an 80 gallon tank with 7 semi-adult discus of about 4-6 inches, 1 clown loach about 3 inches, 10 tetras, 4 cory cats and 2 plecos. I am not overcrowded am I?

At one time I had 11 adults 6+ inches in a barebottom 55g. As long as your maintenance is adaquate, you aren't overcrowded. I would suggest you invest in that diatom filter. :wink:

It seems that TFH is printing Discus Heath again, it just seems that this e-bay seller might be getting it a little early, there is a good chance it will be in stores again pretty soon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

macman.. it seems like you might have a few too many fish in that 80 gallon..what kind of plecos do you have? it might not be as bad as it seems..LOL you could always get a bigger tank.lol then again if your maintainace is good enough they should be fine..

Brian..I was wondering if you have gotten any information on skimming the Mucus out of the tank as well... :mrgreen:

No Bill, I haven't had a response yet. I guess he either didn't get the email, or doesn't know the answer. Sorry.

BrianNY said:
I know that many asian discus breeders change 100% daily. They do this from a continuous drip system. Personally, I think it's very risky unless you're using aged water, and you're certain of the pH match. JMO

the drip method.. I read about the drip method on the GLD web-site.. I was wondering exactly how it works.. GLD said they used diffent %'s depending on the age of the discus using the drip method by the way... they only use 100% on the wee little guys.LOL. :mrgreen:

Brian were would you suggest that I ask the question? "have you ever tried skimming to remove mucus from the water?" I am really curious about getting a answer to that question for some reason.. :mrgreen:

I really don't know where else to ask as people I've spoken to haven't tried a protein skimmer. My logic tells me this......... Anything that removes harmful bacteria from the water column is beneficial to discus.

Side note: It looks like I've beaten the discus plague without a single fatality. The discus are beginning to spawn and guard the eggs again. Massive water changes and high salt has done the trick.

Thats great news Brian!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and with the questions again..LOL
With the drip method of water changes.. is it something like the old water is dripping out the bottom of the tank while new water is dripping into the tank? :D

Exactly right Bill. You'd need a drilled tank with an overflow. Old water is continually being replaced by new. This is very effective for raising fry since the bioload is generally huge and grows as the fry grow.

As far as wild discus go..., you might try DiscusHans.

So from what im gathering what your saying is the plumbing is set up something like a wet/dry's but the flow of course is very slow.. and your pumping off the old water and pluming in new.. this can be controlled to be much less than 100% right.. say 10% a day would be possible.. just checking.. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom