discus in corners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im new to having disc, I feed them every other day and do 15gal water changes every three days. (55 gallon planted tank)

The problemI have come across is that they like to hang out in the top corner. Like theyre waiting for me to feed them. Why do they do that? Are they hungry? Or is it cause I only have three and they would be more secure if there where more?

Are they adults or juvies? How long has the tank been set up? If they are adults, 3 is fine, if they are juvies it might be because there are only 3. Do you have aeration in the tank such as a bubbler? Are they always in the top corner?

My discus hang out all over the tank. However at feeding time they do hang out at the top of the tank.

thanks for the move. i have no idea what im doing.
the disc are juvies (3"). I took the bubble bar out or my tank cause i read it removes C02 and sufficates the plants.. not sure if its true. they arent always in the top corner, only when they see me. Thats why i thought they are just associating me with food..

discusdude said:
thanks for the move. i have no idea what im doing.
the disc are juvies (3"). I took the bubble bar out or my tank cause i read it removes C02 and sufficates the plants.. not sure if its true. they arent always in the top corner, only when they see me. Thats why i thought they are just associating me with food..

Do you run a CO2 system? If yes, then the aerator will dissipate CO2. If no, then aerator is good to have and your water CO2 level will be the same concentration as the air we breath. I think it's 7-8ppm if I'm not mistaken.

not running a CO2 system. so i added one small dissfuser this morning and well see if they start acting normal and it doesnt kill my plants. It's not as if they are gasping for air, I've seen this in other fish during long distance transport. I really think they're just spoiled an want me to feed them everytime i walk in the room.

you should be feeding them 2-3 times a day, especially if they are juives

Back
Top Bottom