Discus journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy beautiful fish! We just bought big discus for my other tank, but i'm not bothered with the little guys. The big discus get 55-75% wc every other day, and the little ones 75% every day. Both in 55's. Wish i could find discus like that around here, i feel as though mines colors differ a lot from other peoples. What wc schedule do you follow? Ty for the post by the way! I love to see others discus.

I live in New Zealand and honestly they have some pretty poor quality discus in stores. But, i found a person who breeds and imports large great quality discus in there own home made aquarium store thing :) and he sells them at a very cheap price which is great!

I would not recommend discus under 3" unless you know what you are doing. They take so much work to grow aswell as they take such a long time to grow too. They also are more easily prone to disease and it's just not fun dealing with all of that.

Alot of fish only and/or fish based pet stores usually have some pretty good fish! Just make sure they are the right size, shape, the right colours, and make sure they are healthy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418798828.223637.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418798888.445364.jpg to: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418798927.869581.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418799045.693567.jpg(blue )

Got them at i want to say 2 inches, and they have grown quickly! (Doubled at least) I want to say the tank is under three months old. I surprisingly haven't had any issues, knock on wood. I just make sure to keep the water perfect and at the same constant parameters. I dont mind the extra work. :) and New Zealand may explain why you have some nice catches!

I love them! Especially the blue diamond :) just noticed now i have some pairing up going on. I don't know if they are truly pairing up but my eruption leopard and male leopard are cleaning and cleaning a piece of drift wood in my aquarium. They are also doing the head twitch thing to each other. I don't really want to breed them properly yet though as i only just got the fish! Haha but it is really cool to see them pairing up if that's what they're doing :)

Many new discus pairs that are in-experienced end up eating the wigglers I've heard. It really depends on the fish. So maybe they'll try, you'll learn some more, and then they will successfully breed! If thats your goal at least. You're just going to need a separate tank! I feel as though i should do more research on this topic as well, just in case i fall into that situation with the older discus tank. I believe its the high temperature, more acidic water that isn't ideal for breeding, which you have; so hopefully they hold off for now.

Here's my ocean green, a variety of the Blue Diamond
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418891251.484337.jpg

I would be very careful of breeding in the general tank, the discus get aggressive & keep other bigger fishes away. I had this problem with my Koi Angels & had to remove the eggs since they were getting too aggressive.

I love that fish! I wish there were neon green discus. Also, what other types of discus are there that don't have the black stripes or bars down there sides. And Yes i am aware of the aggression. They seem to have sort of stopped cleaning at the driftwood at the moment. I don't think that they will pair up but it seriously did look like it! Also, i thought that discus liked to breed within a pH of 5.0-6.5 and i thought that the hight temp of 28-32C was also good because it helps incubate the eggs faster etc? I am not trying to breed them at all though. I just want to see them being normal fish in a planted tank and maybe in a years time of experience with possible sicknesses (i hope none if not too many) and i just want to enjoy the fish for awhile :)

The real green discus I know of are wild caught. I have a video of a heckle cross that's green thru selective breeding but haven't managed to get my hands on one. Don't know how to put the video up. The attached has minor green streaks.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418901791.660675.jpg

My lfs just let us in on the fact that all their discus are wild caught... I dont know what to think of it? Or if it changes how to take care of them?

Hi guys,

Just thought i would ask you people because you all seem to know your stuff :)

One of the discus i have posted about has clamped gill :( it's weird though because he is showing his colour beautifully, he is never hiding and is always with the other discus, he doesn't have any clamped fins, he is eating very well, he is not scratching, dashing, or flashing, none of the other fish have it? As a matter of fact he is still showing signs of trying to pair up?

He was shipped to me about 3 days ago so maybe he could just have a sore gill from the shipping? He did have it slightly clamped when i released him into my aquarium. Since then i have treated aquarium with formalin and a little bit if salt and it seems to have done okay because this morning the big guy was breathing normally aswell as using his gills normally again but just after lunch he clamped it again.

The only symptoms is he is breathing fast and is only really breathing out if one gill?

Please help :( i don't know whats wrong.

Hi guys,

Just thought i would ask you people because you all seem to know your stuff :)

One of the discus i have posted about has clamped gill :( it's weird though because he is showing his colour beautifully, he is never hiding and is always with the other discus, he doesn't have any clamped fins, he is eating very well, he is not scratching, dashing, or flashing, none of the other fish have it? As a matter of fact he is still showing signs of trying to pair up?

He was shipped to me about 3 days ago so maybe he could just have a sore gill from the shipping? He did have it slightly clamped when i released him into my aquarium. Since then i have treated aquarium with formalin and a little bit if salt and it seems to have done okay because this morning the big guy was breathing normally aswell as using his gills normally again but just after lunch he clamped it again.

The only symptoms is he is breathing fast and is only really breathing out if one gill?

Please help :( i don't know whats wrong.

Start your own thread as not to hijack jes's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks great Jess !!! The fish are the same all over. It's just like my dogs. All the room in my place and where does everybody sleep ? In the bed with us when we don't get there first.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Haha youre so right! All the room but they need to be on top of you. Can't wait for these guys to get huge.

Keep the WC's going and it'll be in the blink of an eye. For now fighting two, 100 lb GSD's over a king sized bed is the chore of the evening. Maybe I'll just hit the couch ??.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom