Discus or Mawali Cichlids ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robsterlobster9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum!

I have been tossing and turning between setting up a 4ft 50 gallon tank. So I really need some other peoples opinions!!

At first I thought about setting it up as a Lake Mawali Cichlids tank after seeing a couple of videos of them on YouTube.

But then I saw the discus and fell in love with them, and have been head deep researching about them and their biotope and needs etc.

Either way I plan on having a planted show tank that represents the fishes natural environment.

So I was wondering, what would you go with for a 4ft 50 gallon tanking out of the two, what kinds of fish would you have in it (electric yellow, pigeon blood) , and if you have any photos of tanks that you love feel free to share and try and win me over to either side!

If your wanting plants go for the discus but do your research because ive heard they aren't easy to keep with tons of water changes. There isn't many plants if any in rift lakes. Probably because of water chemistry and the fish tearing them up.

This is an easy fix. Let your tap water decide.

Hard and basic water = African Rift Lake fish

Soft and acidic water = South American fish

There, I've solved your conundrum. :)

David

Lake Mawali it is... Now to find some reputable stockists! Anyone have any experience with good online stores that stock large river rocks etc. ?

This is an easy fix. Let your tap water decide.

Hard and basic water = African Rift Lake fish

Soft and acidic water = South American fish

There, I've solved your conundrum. :)

David

Lol that's funny ^^ the way you said it, I didn't even think of that one :)

Lake Mawali it is... Now to find some reputable stockists! Anyone have any experience with good online stores that stock large river rocks etc. ?

Go to your local hardware store or landscaping businesses that sells bulk supplies. If your looking for cichlid stones I got mine from doctor foster

Also, has anyone ever had any luck with a mildly planted Mawali Tank? By this I mean maybe a few anabuses growing out from the rocks... That would probably be it. Any takers?

Due to advice and a bit of reading I have set up my new Malawi aquarium with some anubias, java fern and val. I am a bit of a plant fan so the idea of just rocks was a bit scary. I have cynotilapia afra which apparently dig around and uproot stuff but have had no probes so far. Guess this is why anubias and java fern are good options...would like to see the fish lift a piece of my lava rock with anubias attached!

Due to advice and a bit of reading I have set up my new Malawi aquarium with some anubias, java fern and val. I am a bit of a plant fan so the idea of just rocks was a bit scary. I have cynotilapia afra which apparently dig around and uproot stuff but have had no probes so far. Guess this is why anubias and java fern are good options...would like to see the fish lift a piece of my lava rock with anubias attached!

I tryed that and had the same thought. Unfortunately it still didnt work because they dug them out or pulled them till it broke off. I hope it works for you because it does for some

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom