Discus tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cory? Generally, probably too hot
Cpo? Too Hot
Rubber lip pleco? Or any pleco* No plecos. They'll want to eat the discus' slime coats
Sae? Should be fine. Quick google search suggests that there energy level might be off-putting to the discus, but that varies by fish
Neon tetras? Probably end up as food for them
Gbr? Fine in theory, but there might be issues with cichlid-cichlid aggression. I've known people to keep both together though.

Responses in Red

Cory?
Cpo?
Rubber lip pleco? Or any pleco*
Sae?
Neon tetras?
Gbr?

I have 4 panda cory's with my Discus. They do just fine.

I have a columbian zebra pleco and a gold nugget pleco with my Discus. They are fine.

I have 15 Cardinal tetras with them. They do fine.

That's my experience.

I've kept BN plecos with my discus without any issue, they aren't aggressive at all to other fish. Also, corydoras sterbai along with a few other species are okay for warmer water tanks, there was a list somewhere but I can't recall where it is.

As far as schooling fish go, I've never had an issue keeping a few different danio and tetra species with them. The biggest issue I've run into is aggression from angelfish that have been with them.

Definitely no on the CPO or dwarf shrimp, unless you want to risk a high chance of them being eaten, plus the temperature is going to be a bit high.

tmfish said:
I have 4 panda cory's with my Discus. They do just fine.

I have a columbian zebra pleco and a gold nugget pleco with my Discus. They are fine.

I have 15 Cardinal tetras with them. They do fine.

That's my experience.

So depends on the fish themselves, like their personality then?

jetajockey said:
I've kept BN plecos with my discus without any issue, they aren't aggressive at all to other fish. Also, corydoras sterbai along with a few other species are okay for warmer water tanks, there was a list somewhere but I can't recall where it is.

As far as schooling fish go, I've never had an issue keeping a few different danio and tetra species with them. The biggest issue I've run into is aggression from angelfish that have been with them.

Definitely no on the CPO or dwarf shrimp, unless you want to risk a high chance of them being eaten, plus the temperature is going to be a bit high.

If you find that list can you shoot it my way? :)

It would've been awesome to have the little cpo or rcs in there as well :/

Panda cories are actually prefer cooler temps than most cories, a good 10 degrees less that discus like.

aqua_chem said:
Panda cories are actually prefer cooler temps than most cories, a good 10 degrees less that discus like.

Im pretty sure sterbai cories are the ones that can handle higher temps.

Plecos eating the slime coat on large, flat fish is a pretty well documented occurrence. Some won't do it, but many unfortunately will. A lot of people do keep discus with plecos, but it's always a risk.

The panda cories comment was in reference to a previous comment.

aqua_chem said:

Is there any cories that can handle comfortably that temp? I'm thinking 78-80 derees

Sterbai and aeneus would be good candidates.

78-80 is on the low end of discus temp, with 80 being the absolute lowest I've ever heard recommended. 84-86 is much more common.

Back
Top Bottom