Disinfecting a plastic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone.

A while back my betta went to the big pond in the sky. He was very sick. I brought him back from the brink a few times but last time nothing worked.

I'm thinking about getting another betta but I'm scared of using the same tank. What would be the best way to disinfect it? It is a plastic tank. I've heard to use bleach. I've heard NOT to use bleach. Some say hot water is enough.

Is there a specific tank disinfectant that is safest?

Thanks for any advice!

I've had to disinfect a few tanks... One from the horrible camallanus worm...

I moved the torn down, empty bare bottom empty tank to the bathroom... Filled it with 90% hot water, and remaining 10% REGULAR BLEACH ( NO dyes or perfumes!) attached stripped down filter with plastic parts attached running for 12 hrs... I also added any stones or decorations, plastic plants in to the tank...
After running 12 hrs I siphoned directly into bathtub (reason for doing this in bathroom ) :) and then rinsed and scrubbed inside of tank with my hand while it was in tub... Moved tank back out of tub, refilled with hot water WITH DECHLORINATOR (prime) an let it run several hours... Repeat final through rinse in bathtub...
Once I thought I was done I stuck my head in empty tank and inhaled deeply to see if I caught any wiff of bleach...

I moved tank back to desired location and refilled with water... Adding in extra prime for good measure... I've done this twice this exact same way and I've been fine... Added my betta into freshly disinfected tank after this and everything was great :)

I'm really sorry for the loss of your betta :-(

Thanks for the advice ocminpin! This tank doesn't have a filter (I did PWC's once or twice a week). Do I need to leave it soaking for 12 hours still or was that to get the filter cleaned?

And thank you for the condolences. He was a beautiful fish.

Attachments

• Ares.jpg
    Ares.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 58
Shanny said:
Thanks for the advice ocminpin! This tank doesn't have a filter (I did PWC's once or twice a week). Do I need to leave it soaking for 12 hours still or was that to get the filter cleaned?

And thank you for the condolences. He was a beautiful fish.

It cleaned my filter throughly... I'd mix the bleach in the water and stir it carefully.., to be sure it mixes well...

Hi Everyone.

A while back my betta went to the big pond in the sky. He was very sick. I brought him back from the brink a few times but last time nothing worked.

I'm thinking about getting another betta but I'm scared of using the same tank. What would be the best way to disinfect it? It is a plastic tank. I've heard to use bleach. I've heard NOT to use bleach. Some say hot water is enough.

Is there a specific tank disinfectant that is safest?

Thanks for any advice!

You do not need to disinfect the tank unless without a doubt it was infected with organisms like ick. Just wash it out with cool water, refill it with water that is 78-80 degrees and allow it to stand for 24 complete hours, then add a new betta. I suggest a heater set at 78 to protect them from immune deficency. Feed them one frozen blood worm rinsed under cool water every three days, they can live for up to one week without any food at all in real time. In a tank that small, you'll need to replace 1/3 of the water with conditioning fluid, same water temp, and check for ammonia with testing supplies, you'll need a ph tester and test the water daily and adjust the ph of the water your going to refill the tank with. I'm open to any future questions you may have regarding the future up keep of any new betta with outstand results.

PS, use a thermometer

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishman4u said:
You do not need to disinfect the tank unless without a doubt it was infected with organisms like ick. Just wash it out with cool water, refill it with water that is 78-80 degrees and allow it to stand for 24 complete hours, then add a new betta.
PS, use a thermometer

It's always better to be safe than sorry. I'd disinfect the tank in case anything is transferrable to a new Betta. Not exactly fair to skimp on steps when you can easily prevent something in a days work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom