Distressed Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And also after the goldies I did a large WC but they are probably still rebounding from the goldies which is definitely my fault and I'll accept all blame for it. So hopefully my new discus thay will be arriving soon will be okay other than a little new tank and shipping stress

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You may be dealing with a mini cycle then.... All new cartridges = non cycled cartridges, correct?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes but thay wouldn't cause death even in a delicate fish would it and all other fish are acting completely fine, even the twig cat who are also pretty delicate.

Filter is not overloaded, there are a few dead leaves but they are vacuumed out dsily, I doubt test is incorrect but I can retest, no one is missing, and every last goldie is back at school

How can you say the filter is /was not overloaded when you have a ammonia/nitrite reading?:confused:

Have you tested your source water for ammonia or nitrite?

You can argue good intentions and what ever till the cows come home or the goldfish go back to school(I read they are gone) but to register ammonia or nitrite is PROOF the filter is /was overloaded....
I am not trying top scold you or demean anything.
10g a day is all good in my book so it has to fall on stocking either previous(the goldfish) or present.
And the filter /tank being overloaded....

Yes.... Yes it can. Your talking abt one of the most sensitive/delicate fish thats readily available in our hobby.

*sigh* I definitely still have a lot to learn, a lot more than I had thought. Oh well, I'll keep learning and try harder.

Remember ive warned you once before... And stated this here a lot
Ill post just a blurb of it
"Discus are sensitive to the point that what we do and what happens now will translate down the road. You kay not even notice for weeks. then boom dead discus.... Youll test and say everythings fine. Thatsbecause they were damaged some time ago.

This leads me to believe that the goldies hurt way more than you think... And a diminished already fragile to begin with fish, then being tasked with a mini cycle = no good.

Sorry about your discus.
With more new fish coming is there a plan to have good water and stronger bacteria before they arrive??
Larger water change soon,lower feedings to fish in tank, bottled bacteria?????

Yes.... Yes it can. Your talking abt one of the most sensitive/delicate fish thats readily available in our hobby.

Okay figured. Sorry stupid comment/question on my part. And I'm sorry, I thought I knew enough about them but obviously not and I really need to take it easy and think and research a ton (much more than i thought necessary) before I buy/help out a new fish that wouldn't go well with 'em

Remember ive warned you once before... And stated this here a lot
Ill post just a blurb of it
"Discus are sensitive to the point that what we do and what happens now will translate down the road. You kay not even notice for weeks. then boom dead discus.... Youll test and say everythings fine. Thatsbecause they were damaged some time ago.

Thank you for this. I'll keep this in mind on every little change or addition too my discus tank

How can you say the filter is /was not overloaded when you have a ammonia/nitrite reading?:confused:

Have you tested your source water for ammonia or nitrite?

You can argue good intentions and what ever till the cows come home or the goldfish go back to school(I read they are gone) but to register ammonia or nitrite is PROOF the filter is /was overloaded....
I am not trying top scold you or demean anything.
10g a day is all good in my book so it has to fall on stocking either previous(the goldfish) or present.
And the filter /tank being overloaded....

I have before and I believe it had a tiny, tiny amount of ammonia and same with nitrates. And can't Nitrates and ammonia be there no matter what? It's a Penguin 350

This leads me to believe that the goldies hurt way more than you think... And a diminished already fragile to begin with fish, then being tasked with a mini cycle = no good.

Probably...again I'll take all blame. And I take it I shouldn't quarantine the single discus I have now as it would stress him/her out more

Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes to varying degrees... Take the time to learn from this and make sure you don't repeat it, and you'll do great

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

If water parameters are bad... You might want too. As long as qt levels are more stable.

Yeah man, we all lose a fish., it's how we learn from this that is important. Sorry for your loss btw

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry about your discus.
With more new fish coming is there a plan to have good water and stronger bacteria before they arrive??
Larger water change soon,lower feedings to fish in tank, bottled bacteria?????

If I do know one thing it's that discus need to be fed more often than other fish. I would do a larger water change but I don't want to stress my remaining discus out even more. I would actually delay the order a few more days but it's to late for that as they ship out tomorrow morning while I'm at school and they have already closed tonight.

If water parameters are bad... You might want too. As long as qt levels are more stable.

Quarantine is in use for cichlid fry rn. And my other one is for the new discus and pistos.

Big WC wont hurt.... I dont feed my discus more than other fish... At all.

Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes to varying degrees... Take the time to learn from this and make sure you don't repeat it, and you'll do great

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Oh, I definitely won't repeat this. Next time I will just put the goldies in my pond and buy new ones for the class

Back
Top Bottom