dither fish for electric yellow tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello there, i have recently obtained yet another tank, this time with 2 electric yellows, (yellow labs) one male, and one female. but they are incredible shy and dont come out very often from there hidey holes.
so this got me started on thinking of some ways as to getting them out more.

one method i thought of was dither fish, to make them seem more comfortable in there environment. can anyone think of any particular fish that would go well here?

another method i thought of was placing some plants in there with the electric yellows seeing as they dont dig up the gravel or cause trouble. would this make them feel more comfortable??

they are also seeming to not really be eating, i think this could be because they are unsure of their surroundings and unsure of me feeding them, they seem to like bloodworms and cichlid pellets, is there any other foods that they just cant resist like a cat wanting catnip or a dog wanting a bone lol?

If you add more they should come out more. They are best kept in groups of 4+ IMO. The more you have the less shy they'll be. I'm not sure if dithers would coerce them out.

what size tank are they in? Definitely want to add some more with them, as JOM said, they like to be in bigger groups. Make sure if you add more that you add only females. Be careful feeding them bloodworms. Mbuna easily get bloat from having too much protein, these fish are primarily herbivorous

ohh okay, haha ill try placing in some herbivorous foods, like spirinula flakes , etc. they may enjoy that a little more. as for coaxing them out, i placed some feeder barbs in there and they dont seem to be doing much to them,

the tank is a 20 g and the fish are already adult size, how many more females could i fit in there, and would it matter if the females were juviniles, or should they be the same size to allow a safer life?

Back
Top Bottom