Dithering about dither fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbysue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Helloo!

I've been researching the cichlids that I want to get for my tank (55 gallon - alllllllmmmmmost cycled), and from my reading, "dither fish" are recommended to decrease timidity of the cichlids.

(Cichlids that I'm interested in are Pelvicachromis pulcher, Anomalochromis thomasi, and Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor).

Any favorite ditherers to recommend?

Oh, and any plant recommendations?

Thanks in advance!:thanks:

:fish2:Susan:fish2:

Are you going high tech with CO2 or are you going low tech with the tank? Tetras, such as the Congo Tetra make good dither fish for the first two, but the Egyption mouthbrooder is described as highly aggressive and reaching a size of 4". I don't know anything about them personally, but based on the description and the statement that they "eat anything", I don't find it real likely that they will do well with dither fish. Hopefully someone who knows a little more about them will comment.

I have never kept any of the Pseudocrenilabrus species either, though they're on my bucket list of fish to keep one day. Aggression seems to be an issue in all three species (and subsequent subspecies), and most things I've read suggest keeping them in harem groups with plenty of hidin' places.

As Wy Renegade said, congo tetras will work well for the first two, but may be hit or miss with the mouthbrooders. IME, one fish that seems to work well as a dither for almost any cichlid up to 5" or so is the giant danio, as long as the tank is large enough to allow 'em to keep movin' and not get cornered by the cichlids. They move constantly, are relatively fast, and are purty darn tough. I've used 'em for dithers with breedin' pairs of Central American cichlids like convicts and firemouths as well as with Lake Malawi mbuna. They do not fit into the African theme ya seem to be goin' for though.

As far as plants, not my area of expertise by any means, LOL, but Java fern, aponogeton and anubias are hardy and do well in even my low tech tanks with super hard water.

WYite

Are you going high tech with CO2 or are you going low tech with the tank? Tetras, such as the Congo Tetra make good dither fish for the first two, but the Egyption mouthbrooder is described as highly aggressive and reaching a size of 4". I don't know anything about them personally, but based on the description and the statement that they "eat anything", I don't find it real likely that they will do well with dither fish. Hopefully someone who knows a little more about them will comment.

I'm planning on starting lo-tech, with the plants in the tank - no C02 at this point... I do find it interesting, though!

I'm not "married" to the idea of the mouthbrooder - it was suggested in combination with the other 2 species - do you have any suggestions on another species that might be compatible?

Thanks for your help!

I have never kept any of the Pseudocrenilabrus species either, though they're on my bucket list of fish to keep one day. Aggression seems to be an issue in all three species (and subsequent subspecies), and most things I've read suggest keeping them in harem groups with plenty of hidin' places.

As Wy Renegade said, congo tetras will work well for the first two, but may be hit or miss with the mouthbrooders. IME, one fish that seems to work well as a dither for almost any cichlid up to 5" or so is the giant danio, as long as the tank is large enough to allow 'em to keep movin' and not get cornered by the cichlids. They move constantly, are relatively fast, and are purty darn tough. I've used 'em for dithers with breedin' pairs of Central American cichlids like convicts and firemouths as well as with Lake Malawi mbuna. They do not fit into the African theme ya seem to be goin' for though.

As far as plants, not my area of expertise by any means, LOL, but Java fern, aponogeton and anubias are hardy and do well in even my low tech tanks with super hard water.

WYite

I just google image searched the Congo Tetras! So pretty!!! The giant danios are nice too.... but the fins on the Micralestes interruptus are to die for :). I'm reading that groups of 6 or more would be best, would that be correct?

I know that live plants are preferable, and don't mind replacing them, but are nicer silk ones OK if I'm mostly looking at providing hiding places for the fish?

:thanks:

Well, any of the Pelvicachromis species would work as a third species, but most are a variation on the same color theme as the krib.

I'd love to get some of these guys to put in with some kribs: Cross River Goby Cichlid - Gobiocichla ethelwynnae | ThatPetPlace.com

Yes, congo tetras will do best in groups.

As far as silk plants, they will be just fine for providin' cover and breakin' up the tank. I personally don't like artificial plants, but that is my opinion, not due to any functional problem with 'em.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom