DIY 3D Angkor Wat Backdrop / Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I got finished with the final "paint" job on the background. (see below) I also got around to doing the part I wanted to do least and that was getting under the house and putting more support under the section where the aquarium is going. Now I just need to paint the base, install the background, rearange my living room to make room, build the hood and thats about it exept for the water changes and the fish. I need another vacation.

I took the photos in full sun this time to get a better image of the backgrounds incase any one wants to try this.
DIY_BG_35.jpg

DIY_BG_36.jpg

DIY_BG_37.jpg

It's beautiful! You're very talented. Now you need to make some for the rest of us. :mrgreen:

very nicely done!

Will you cure it for a while in the tank on it's own (no filter etc, just water changes) then drain the tank and add new fresh water before adding fish?

Yes I will change the water 2 or 3 times before adding fish. I will watch the PH after I get a higher rated test kit, and it should jump up a little bit then go back down. I wonder if it would be better to put a power head in to move the water around while its soaking?

Wow! simply stunning. In case I missed it, are you anchoring this to the tank or is the weight of the concrete enough to hold it down? If so how?

R-

Sulla said:
I wonder if it would be better to put a power head in to move the water around while its soaking?
IMO, I would say definitely. I would even point them directly at the background so any residual dies etc could be blown off.

Sumphead I am going to use silicone to hold the background to the tank. The pieces are still very light becouse the concrete is thin except for the face. Also glad you like it:)

Well I moved one step closer today:) My brother came over and helped me move the Aquarium into my living room. Now I can get the background siliconed in and get the plywood base routed and painted then slide it into place.

First thing I had to do was put the finished background in to make sure it still fit and see how it looked. For this image I just layed the light from my 29 on the top. The seem on the face will be closer together after I add all of the silicone between the pieces but over all I think its going to look nice.
DIY_BG_38.jpg

over all I think its going to look nice.
It looks incredible! Can't wait to see it in there with some substrate and a few plants! :wink:

oh, and a few fish I suppose :D

WOW! Totally awesome! (80's lingo)

That is stuningly beautiful. You are a great artist. I am loving watching the progress. Thanks for sharing. :wink:

Well no pictures this time all I have done is glue the background into place using silicone. I also decided to completely cover the ends of the tanks so I siliconed the some of the extra rocks a made to the ends to complete the rock wall. I also started siliconing some rocks in the corners to blend the corners and give the fallen rock/temple look. I next plan on doing all of the hopefully tastfull plastic plants. Any way I hope to have some more pictures soon.

Also while I am working on this I need more feedback on what fish get to make this there nice new home:) I am thinking mid size to small cichlids like Electric Yellow Labs etc http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=839&TopCatId=1825 - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1663&TopCatId=1825 I am also still considering Silver Dollars (To bad I dont still have my Pacu:) http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gdollar.html or even another large Tiger Oscar http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/oscar.htm I just dont know any more so please give me feedback:)

revhtree - Thanks very much I am glad you like it:)

BillyZ - It almost seems like the plants, substrate and fish are the hard part as I want them to look perfect with the rest of the tank.

malkore - I am considering doing the research and figuring out a way to produce backgrounds. I have only found a few I like and I believe they are like $600 for a tank my size. I have to think there is a cheaper way to make great looking background and I am sure there is a market if the price is right.

Thanks again all for all the great feedback:)

Well we are getting close now:) All "rocks" are siliconed in place and I think I am just about done with the plant layout. I just have a few more small details then I can move it into place and add water. Take a look at the layout of the plants and tell me what you think. Also where the cut is on the left I will have gravel washing out onto the empty spot like running water has been cutting a channel.

DIY_BG_39.jpg

Glad every one likes how its going:)

Today I got the secound canister filter an Eheim 2229 I also recieved the two 96 watt Bright Kits from http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm but one of the bulbs was broken. Also today I routed and painted the plywood to go under the stand and put it and the tank into place where its going to stay. Also I setup the Eheim filter on my 29 gallon tank with my other canister filter to get some growth going in the media while I do the water changes in the new tank. And after setting up the one light and letting it run for a while I have decided to put 2 fans on the hood to keep the lights cool. I think that I will use 12v fans and a computer powersupply to run them.

sulla, don't use a computer powersupply, instead search your house for a 12v transformer, like one you would have for a portable cd player, and use that. it will be alot easier, and save power.

your background is unbelievable, i am very tempted to try something, like everyone else, i can hardly wait to see it with fish swimming around it.

Thanks for the tip on the power supply:)

Well nothing new to report just working on some more small things before I add water and start soaking the concrete. But I did get bored and added some fish with photoshop to give an idea of what its going to look like. The fish are not exactly silver dollars but it was the best pic I could find:)

DIY_BG_40.jpg

Back
Top Bottom