DIY cannister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was thinking about making my own cannister filter. i was going to get a powerhead(rated at a decently high level) and run a hose off the output and out of the tank. then get a sealable containter(like a 2 gal container) and drill a hole into the bottom side and attach a fitting for the hose. stack all the media i want into the container then put the out put hose coming out of the top of it with another fitting and run it back into the tank. this would be for a smaller tank like 10-20 gal. and as long as the pump i get has a decent GPH rate i cant se why it wouldnt work. whenever u want to clean it just pop the sealable top and clean the media thenj put it back n and prime the system. maybe 30 bucks for the powerhead and fittings and hose and container. sound logical or am i missing something?

I think you are on to something here...but I see some issues - how do you balance the input and output rates? If the intake rate is higher than the outtake, won't the container burst or leak? and if the output is higher than the input, then the potential is to run that powerhead/pump dry?

the input and out put rate should be the same. how can it suck in more water than it is pushing out? and i dont see how it could possible push out more water than it has sucked in. i think the only major flaw i can see is that the powerhead wont be capable of pushing water all the way down and still have enough pressure to push it back up from the cannister. u may need an external water pump to give enough pressure. lets just say i useTHIS pump on a 20 gal tank. it should provide enough push to pump the water through. even if i loose lets say 25GPH from restriction of media and what not i am still running roughly 150 gal per hour or lets say low end about 125/hour giving my tank a 6 times turn around. sounds pretty good to me. maybe cz will post in this thread. if he doesnt then i will pm him.

Sounds like the same type of setup someone was using on a Remote DSB in a 5 gal bucket. I will try to find that link from ReefCentral.

The powerhead is really no different than a canister filter in terms of the motor. 2 gallons would be awfully large for a 10 gal tank. try and find a square pail, as it is easier to put a fitting into it. Bulkhead fittings are not cheap, however.

i can get the fitting for relativly cheap. my dad works with people who work with who wirk with those fittings lol. so i can get them. ok 2 gal for a 20 gal tank and then a small 1 gal sealable jug for a 10 gal tank. u can get small rubbermaid loctite containers for faily cheap and then the only modification u would need to do was the 2 fittings. i think i am going to give this a try once i get some extra cash. i will post pics if i do it.

that is very similiar to what i was thinking but i would have the pump mounted inside the aquarium and hooked up to the intake hose. i was thinking that exact container but larger. people can now get a visual of what i was thinking though so thank you Bigougit. i guees it does work lol. u could make as large of one as u would like to as long as u have a pump that is capable to move the amout of water needed. i mainly want to do this so i can make an inline reactor for my 20 gal. this way the only stuff in the tank would be the small powerhead and my heater. possibly not even a heater if i get an inline one. i hat the splashing that is made by HOB filters aswell as the intake tubes. i really really want to try this now.

Me too, ever since I read about sumps and all of that I haven't looked at plastic containers the same lol It just seems weird that no one else is doing this if its that easy, maybe for larger fish tanks finding the right container and pump can become a problem (like 100+ tanks). I'm glad I could help, I found it looking through other sites DIY articles.

this is such a practicle idea for a small tank. i think up to 30 gal would be most effective. after re looking at his design with the powerhead in the container i realised it would be alot easier for the pump to only have to push the water up rather than down and then up aswell. i think i am going to use the Hydor Pico 500 Pump for cost reasons and it seems to be about the GPH i was looking for aswell. i think this should easily work for my 20 gal. i am going to use a 1 gal jug. same style as he used. then all i need to do is drill a few holes and silicone in a few fittings. i am hoping to get this done in the next few weeks if i get the money for the pump.

good luck, I'll probably start looking for a container, but I'm in the last stages of my malawi tank and won't be able to set up another tank for a few months. I like the container he used, but I could get some little clamps for a gladware container or something like that. Since you're using a 1 gal jug for a 20g tank I'll try to find something thats at least 2-3 gallons. I'd like to know if you found it easy or not and whether you thought it was worth it when you get it all done.

You gotta slap on an inline heater and reactor too. :) Or maybe use the return flow to replace the mist powerhead (blowing over an airstone for example) . I was under the impression the Hydor Pico would be a decent low gph/cheap pump for this kind of project.

i was thinking about cutting a hole in the top and siliconing a heater into the cannister. that way all the water would flow by it and get heated. i would just leave the top out so i can adjust the heat. i want to build this specifically to use an inline co2 diffuser actually. i hate the clutter i have in my tank now with from HOB and my diffuser. i bought a pico powerhead but i dont know how good it will be for what i want to do. how much flow/gph pump would u suggest getting to filter a 20 gal?

Yeah, I have the Pico too. I remember the description saying it could be used for pond pumps and can handle some head height, so I think its usable here. (The headheight won't be inportant with your planned setup but the point is it can move some water against such a thing.) Worth a shot right?

I'd shoot for around 150gph. I generally like current and would be happy with more. Frankly I'd probably take whatever a quiet, affordable pump gave me.

If you want to get a little different, you could use a pump outboard. The MagDrives are said to be able to do this but some report leaking. You could then set it u like a closed loop system -- SW folk are big on this -- with an inline media compartment (your canister plan). I think this type of setup has lots of potential in the planted tank, but I also think you'd have a great setup using the plants as biofilters and just focussing on water movement, getting stuff out of the tank, and mechanical media if wanted..

I've actualy seen a few other people make these DIY canister filters and i'm really ancious to get started on the project, but I've ran into trouble with one of my 55g tanks. It isn't sitting level, I think its because the stand isn't heavy enough for carpet (its the iron stands) but I'd love to try making a larger one

For the input-output issue, If your canister will be air and water tight, I guess you could have water siphon down, and the pump, pump it back into the tank. If the pump speed is higher than the siphon speed, it will just Suck harder on the siphon tube, resulting in higher input rate.

I saw a DIY canister filter that used 2 jars, 1 for filtration and 1 for a heater and it ran off 1 pump so I'd Imagine that as long as either the intake or the outtake hose was attached to the pump and everything was sealed with silicon besides the lid (which needs to be air tight) then there wont be any problems

i got a new and better pump and i will be looking at getting the container tomorrow. i hope to have it made in a few days. will post pics as i go along if i make it and prices.

Back
Top Bottom