DIY Canopy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirLight1337

Aquarium Advice Activist
No pics yet but later tonight ^_^

Lastnight i started on my DIY canopy made of solid pine. I had all the peices cut a lowes because i have a buddy who works there and cut it for free. I also just finished wiring up all 3 of my canopy fans. I have about a hundered of these fans here at work. They are rated for 220V but run at half speed on 110 ( nice and silent ) I used wood glue and a pneumatic nail gun. the nails are so small they are just about invisable. Nothing alittle wood filler wont fix.

Only thing that is left is to find a top peice and attach it with its support hinges and cut holes on the side for the fans. I have yet to decide of i want to router the edges or leave it a box type top. Pics to follow in a few hrs.

Ill post pics of mine when I get done (made of oak)

Painting the iside with white epoxy, and put 1 fan that does 35 CFP and which you cant hear DB wise...

well i think lowes here is the only place that actually cuts wood :). i havent asked anywhere else but i think it is

Well i got a 4 and a half inch hole saw and cut the holes for my fans, and am currently staining and putting on about 5 coats of clear on the inside and 1 or 2 on the outside. My tank slowly when up 3 degrees yesterday .... i just about CRAPPED my pants. 150 gallons of water just jumps 3 degrees wtf ? i need to get those fans on there NOW. i dont even have the hailde in yet. I changed the duration of my lighting to counter this till the new canopy goes on. sorry for the lag on pictures im in a panic to finish it.

I painted about 5 coats of high-gloss epoxy for the inside of mine (Kindof like another reflecter with built in water-proof)

Then stained the outside, and 3 coats of clear on top of that.

Waiting for it to dry right now.

Also cut a hole in the top, and am dropping the fans in.

Back
Top Bottom