Diy carbon filter flow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used to have a canister filter, but with my sump and everything else it barley had any space. It was getting in the way so I made simple PVC hang on filters. They fit perfect right on the side of my 20 gal sump, also work perfect for quick partal water changes.

One is filled with seachem de-nitrate, which can't exceed 50 gph. So I have a small pump feeding that one. Another is filled with seachem matrix where the flow dosent really matter from what I understand. So I have a 120 gph hooked to that.

I want to run some carbon. I'm in the works making a smaller area that will be built right into what's there. My question is what should the flow be through the carbon? I need to know what size pump I should get. I also have another small pump, I think it's a 120 gph as well. Would that work?

You want a slow flow thru the carbon so it doesn't get ground up. 120 gph might be OK depending on how big the thing is you make and how the carbon reacts with the water flwoing thru it. You don't want it getting tossed around, smashing into each other and getting broken apart. There are tests that have shown carbon dust can cause HLLE in some fish, which is a good reason high quality carbon should be used.
Depending on the quality of carbon you use, you should use 1/2 cup/50g of water and change it monthly.

Thanks. I got aquatics ultra carb activated carbon pellets. Is it bad to over use? Meaning more then half a cup per 50 gal.

I'm not familiar with that brand of carbon, but check out the Lignite carbon at BulkReefSupply. It's cheaper than the stuff you use and it's 1 of the best carbons you can buy. You can use more than 1/2 cup/50g, but it won't make the carbon work any better.

Thank you. Definatly going to but that carbon from now on. Great site thanks for the reference. I've only delt with marinedepot.com.

There it is. The pump worked perfect, water is back to crystal clear. I used to have the carbon shoved in the same container as the sechem Matrix. So I couldent use the full amount of the Matrix pebels. Everything workes perfect now and Im happy I didnt have to go buy a diffrent pump, Thanks again.

Attachments

• new tank pics sep 12, 2010 512.jpg
    new tank pics sep 12, 2010 512.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom