DIY Caves various shapes possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to make some caves using GE Silicone #1 and River Rock. I purchased a pvc flower pot, cut it in 2 (2 caves) and I also used a PVC elbow for a larger mouth cave. I also used some left over plastic plants for attached decorations.

While this does take some time, the results were amazing. I am going to let the Silicone cure for 48-72 hours since I am in no rush and then a final rinse down before placing into the tank. Total materials used:

1 Bag Large river rock 4.00
1 Bag small river rock 4.00
3 tubes GE Silicone #1 3.19 a tube
1 PVC Elbow 3.00
1 PVC Flower pot 1.19

Results: 3 large caves for my 125 gallon FW.

I am very pleased with the results.[/b]

We need some pictures here! I'd love to see what you have created....I've been interested in doing something like this myself. Where did you buy bags of river rocks?

Waiting for pics myself. I've been playing with silicon and rocks and various stuff myself, but either it takes a ton of rocks, or the final structure is very flimsy.

Andos99 said:
We need some pictures here! I'd love to see what you have created....I've been interested in doing something like this myself. Where did you buy bags of river rocks?

My local OSH hardware store has them, need to wash them well since they still have part of the river bed on them. Someone else mentioned they have purchased them from Home Depot as well. It really was easy. The one that took the longest was the circle cave since you have to wait in between dry time to do all the sides, but I wasn't in any hurry.

It actually was a very relaxing project.

Wow, thats pretty sweet looking. I did something similar with some found rocks near my house (boiled them for quite a while first of course), but nothing that detailed. Now I'm gonna have to try it out. Thanks!

Hovoc said:
where did you get the silicone gel? would regular aquarium sealent work?

Most likly its the same thing I think.

Hovoc said:
where did you get the silicone gel? would regular aquarium sealent work?

The GE Number 1 (Important) silicone is exactly the same thing that other stores charge a fortune for "aquarium safe" silicone. Be sure not to use the number 2 variant though just number 1. The full size tubes that you use with a caulking gun are all you need and can be found regularly on sale for 2-3 dollars a tube.

I can attest that it's safe and has not had any issues in my 125

The GE 100 Silicone I should be available at any Lowe's or Home Depot, probably Ace Hardware...or whatever large home-improvement store is near you.

Here's a picture of the product:

Attachments

• safe_silicone_837.jpg
    safe_silicone_837.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom