DIY Chiller--new details!!--TEST CASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here it goes...

This is a test case using a warm bucket of H2O (say 90 degrees, 2 gal). The pump will be a maxi-jet 1200. The radiator is a 'Hayden ultra cool trans-cooler--9"X5"X1"'. Fan is a common household fan.

Setup:
The powerhead will draw the H2O from the bucket thru the radiator and flow back into the bucket. In theory, the radiator with the fan blowing the air across it should bring the H2O to ambient room temp.

That's it...there will be no refrigerator coolant of compressor used.

I will let you guys know how it goes... if we survive... :lol:

You should put a second bucket of water next to it same quanity same temp so you have something to compare it to.

I'm interested to hear the results but I can't imagine it would make a significant difference. If it does...it would be awefully energy efficient.

just as a precaution, remember that using any kind of copper tubing or parts in saltwater is a huge no-no. (so is aluminum and mixes that will corrode with saltwater exposure)

IMO i dont think that will change the temp enough to make it worth while...You can try it but I dont think it i will work. Like Hara said i wouldnt recommend using any types of metal for the radiator (which almost all of them are). GL

Hara's right, we would have to replace the metal part often...well...we are still thinking...you never know, maybe 20 yrs. from now we'll have the "DIY chiller kits company"... :lol: :lol:

actually, you will be replacing your inverts often....copper is toxic to them

Back
Top Bottom