DIY CO2: Tell me about it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! I have gotten to the point where I want to upgrade my CO2 methods. I hear that DIY CO2 is cheap, which I love, but is it effective? How would I set up a DIY CO2 system, and what supplies would I need? Would it be an upgrade from Excel/Metricide 14 dosing? Tell me all you know about it too! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use DIY CO2 and it's great, I'd only recommend it for smaller tanks though. There are a few problems though, temperature changes cause fluctuations in CO2 production which may lead to an algae outbreak. I'd recommend dosing the excel with the DIY CO2 to make sure that there's constantly CO2 in the aquarium.

You may also want to run an airstone when the lights are off to prevent pH changes.

It's really effective to use in conjunction with the Excel, I hope this helps you.

I use DIY CO2 and it's great, I'd only recommend it for smaller tanks though. There are a few problems though, temperature changes cause fluctuations in CO2 production which may lead to an algae outbreak. I'd recommend dosing the excel with the DIY CO2 to make sure that there's constantly CO2 in the aquarium.

You may also want to run an airstone when the lights are off to prevent pH changes.

It's really effective to use in conjunction with the Excel, I hope this helps you.

I feel like theirs not much of a point using diy with excel. Why not just use excel(metricide)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Excel is good to use and theres nothing wrong with it but you won't get the same levels of CO2 in the water, if you had to use the diy co2 it is far more concentrated and does wonders for your plants.

Using the DIY CO2, the amount of sugar available to break down by the yeast after a week or two of setting it up will be decreased, thus CO2 production will decrease, this decrease may also be caused by a decrease in temperature, using Flourish Excel with the DIY CO2 will even out the fluctuations.

But as I said the DIY CO2 setup is only recommended for nano aquariums of around 20 gallons or lower.

I used DIY CO2 for about 8 months in a 20 gallon tank and had great results. I eventually switched to a pressurized system. I did use it in conjunction with Excel. I used two CO2 generating bottles and alternated the startup for each bottle to every other week to reduce the fluctuations in output. Got tired of making up new batches each week. I wanted a more consistent supply of CO2 as I have moved onto slightly more challenging plants.

I used DIY CO2 for about 8 months in a 20 gallon tank and had great results. I eventually switched to a pressurized system. I did use it in conjunction with Excel. I used two CO2 generating bottles and alternated the startup for each bottle to every other week to reduce the fluctuations in output. Got tired of making up new batches each week. I wanted a more consistent supply of CO2 as I have moved onto slightly more challenging plants.

If I would go the pressurized CO2 route, would this be a good product to buy: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=pla&catargetid=530005150000091178&cadevice=m

I could go the paintball route eventually, but as of the moment, I don't know much about it or how to set it up. This is my first planted tank, so you get the idea of what I've done with it--a lot of experimenting haha. I'm thinking I would get tired of playing and keeping up with DIY CO2 as I'd want something more constant and not as time consuming.

I would pass on these. Although the initial cost is low, you will be going through those mini CO2 bottles rather quickly. Especially on a tank > 20g. From the looks of it, you would have to open, adjust, and close the valve daily.
IMO I would continue to do DIY and save up some funds for a regulator that accepts regular tanks. That way you can use either regular or paintball tanks with the use of an adapter. I am using an AQUATEK Premium Regulator with CoolTouch Solenoid with a 24 oz paintball tank plus adaptor. The regulator was $89 and tank was about $25 on Amazon. You might get a better deal on eBay. Filled up the tank for under $5 at Dicks Sporting Goods and there is a deal where every fifth fill up is free. So far I am on my first tank that was filled in early April. I run about 1 bps. Runs on a separate timer; comes on one hour before lights on and off about 30 min before lights out. Worth looking into.
For more info, go to the stickies section in the FW Planted Tank section of this forum. That plus Google should provide a lot of info you need to know. It's not difficult to use.

I would pass on these. Although the initial cost is low, you will be going through those mini CO2 bottles rather quickly. Especially on a tank > 20g. From the looks of it, you would have to open, adjust, and close the valve daily.
IMO I would continue to do DIY and save up some funds for a regulator that accepts regular tanks. That way you can use either regular or paintball tanks with the use of an adapter. I am using an AQUATEK Premium Regulator with CoolTouch Solenoid with a 24 oz paintball tank plus adaptor. The regulator was $89 and tank was about $25 on Amazon. You might get a better deal on eBay. Filled up the tank for under $5 at Dicks Sporting Goods and there is a deal where every fifth fill up is free. So far I am on my first tank that was filled in early April. I run about 1 bps. Runs on a separate timer; comes on one hour before lights on and off about 30 min before lights out. Worth looking into.
For more info, go to the stickies section in the FW Planted Tank section of this forum. That plus Google should provide a lot of info you need to know. It's not difficult to use.

I will eventually purchase the items to make the CO2 system for my tank. I'm hoping by the end of the year I could have it set up. By then my plants should be filling in and flourishing, hopefully. Thanks for the help!

I might save up for this from GLA: http://greenleafaquariums.com/complete-co2-systems/atomic-co2-system.html

I know it is more expensive, but the design looks simple and sleek.

I checked it out and was wondering why there was only one gauge. Turns out that there is only the total pressure gauge present. There is no working pressure gauge. There is no working pressure knob; only the needle valve knob. The working pressure is fixed and cannot be adjusted. The working pressure is designed to work with the Atomic series of diffusers. Not sure how well this will work with other diffusers. The Atomic ceramic diffusers go for $19.99-$45.99 at GLA. Just something to think about.
I am still new at this but I like to be able to adjust the working pressure. I like running it on the low side. I feel like it gives the needle valve more control. I could be wrong on the logic but it is what I've observed from my setup.

I checked it out and was wondering why there was only one gauge. Turns out that there is only the total pressure gauge present. There is no working pressure gauge. There is no working pressure knob; only the needle valve knob. The working pressure is fixed and cannot be adjusted. The working pressure is designed to work with the Atomic series of diffusers. Not sure how well this will work with other diffusers. The Atomic ceramic diffusers go for $19.99-$45.99 at GLA. Just something to think about.
I am still new at this but I like to be able to adjust the working pressure. I like running it on the low side. I feel like it gives the needle valve more control. I could be wrong on the logic but it is what I've observed from my setup.

What about this one? http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-gro-co2-system.html

This one includes the pressure gauge. I just don't see a diffuser anywhere though. Also, how long would a 5 pound tank of CO2 last in a 30 gallon tank--a rough estimate?

What about this one? http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-gro-co2-system.html

This one includes the pressure gauge. I just don't see a diffuser anywhere though. Also, how long would a 5 pound tank of CO2 last in a 30 gallon tank--a rough estimate?

That's a nice model. These are high end quality products. 6 year warrantee? Wow! If you can part with the cash, then go for it. The dual built in timers is a nice touch. For me I took baby steps; I used the paintball tank + adaptor because of the high availability for refills.
How long for a 5# tank on a 30g? Not sure. I'd let others chime in on this. I'm running 1 bps in a 20g on a 24 oz tank since April 1st...coming on 13 weeks now. You'll have an 80 oz tank so it should last a *while*. Sorry so vague.

That's a nice model. These are high end quality products. 6 year warrantee? Wow! If you can part with the cash, then go for it. The dual built in timers is a nice touch. For me I took baby steps; I used the paintball tank + adaptor because of the high availability for refills.
How long for a 5# tank on a 30g? Not sure. I'd let others chime in on this. I'm running 1 bps in a 20g on a 24 oz tank since April 1st...coming on 13 weeks now. You'll have an 80 oz tank so it should last a *while*. Sorry so vague.

It's okay. I'm going to wait a couple months to gather more information about these CO2 systems and I'll save some money back. What type of diffuser would you get for this CO2 system?

That's the Same regulator I have and it has worked flawlessly for over a year on my 75 gallon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome! What type of diffuser did you use for it?

It's okay. I'm going to wait a couple months to gather more information about these CO2 systems and I'll save some money back. What type of diffuser would you get for this CO2 system?

I'd probably get one of the Atomic diffusers if I were going all out with a GLA regulator. Personally I use either the $5 Fluval ceramic diffuser (ugly but it works) and a $5 all glass no name ceramic diffuser.

I'd probably get one of the Atomic diffusers if I were going all out with a GLA regulator. Personally I use either the $5 Fluval ceramic diffuser (ugly but it works) and a $5 all glass no name ceramic diffuser.

Any diffuser will work for me haha. Just as long as it isn't huge.

Back
Top Bottom