DIY coke bottle filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygulp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I have a 55 gallon convict tank. I have a hang on the back filter. Right now it's a glass bottom. No matter how many times or how often I change the water it remains cloudy and hazy. Not being able to afford a really good canister filter yet, I used a 3 gallon coke bottle and DIY ed a filter. Do these really work? And will it clean up my cloudy tank? I have fry in there. They seem to be unaffected by the cloudy water, but I have an OCD about my tanks.

Most DIY filters such as those only perform biological filtration so it won't help with the water clarity issues. I don't know what you water parameters are or your water change schedule but I would suggest doing more water changes, starting at 50% per week and go up from there as needed.

I just converted a filter into a version of a surface skimmer/water polisher that i saw made on you tube. I set it up 2 hours ago, i'll see how the tank looks in the morning and let you know if it helped my tank.

You basically cut a hole in the side of a bottle that you can fit your filter into for the outlet or just a small water pump. You take off the outlet fitting place the pump/filter in the bottom of the bottle and re-attach the power head or outlet. Over the top of the pump or filter you place some filter wool that will catch particals but not restrict the water flow too much and leave your pump running dry. At the top of the bottle you cut long grooves that you will allow water to flow down into the bottle from the surface of the water. It will remove the film that builds on the water surface and the filter wool should help remove particles before it hits the filter.

Anyway i'll give an opinion of how it's working when i wake up tomorrow when i remember.

Edit- I saw a video made by the same guy mentioned above and i'm currently trying something very similar based on his videos.

I would also recommend more frequent water changes. Test your water and post the results here with the total stock in the 55. Its possible you may just need to change how much and how often you do water changes. Also what filter are you using? and how are you cleaning the filter. What are you using in the filter? Post this info and maybe we con give a better answer on what to do.

I have 5 adult convicts and 30-40 half inch fry and they just laid eggs again. Did a 50 percent water change yesterday. My nitrate was slightly high but everything else was perfect. I will do another 50 percent water change in the am. I added two filters I made from 3 liter coke bottles. My hob filter blows monkey chow to say the least. That should help it along. The water is less hazy already but not clear. Hopefully the water change will fix it. I'm hoping the additional filters will keep it that way. Next DIY will be a filter with drawers and a sump.

Thanks Nat for the link but it's a little out of my budget. Drs foster and smith have their filstars on sale for about 80 bucks with free shipping. But I can't even think about buying a canister filter until after Christmas. Too many other responsibilities going on right now.

The good news is you can probably catch a nice after-Christmas sale. :)

Welcome to AA! I cleaned up the double post.

Back
Top Bottom