DIY Led

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezso

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's time for me to upgrade, annual electricity bill, yearly bulb replacement saving and the benefit of LED light getting more and more attractive.
Motive:
Initial cost of my tek elight 8 bulb fixture was $650, since setup changed bulb 2x $480 in total, that's $1000 in 2.5 year :(

Looking to buy rapidLED 4x 6x9 heat sink for 96 LED in total. Cost with shipping $700, have a potential buyer for my old fixture for $300 with all my old bulbs so after the sale it's really only cost $400.
Commercial made fixture from LFS $1500 with similar configuration.

40x natural white 5w 300L at 75% = 12000Lume
40x royal blue 3w 150L at 75% = 6000Lume
8x blue 3w 80L at 75% = 640Lume
8x UV 3w
368 watt running at 100%

It will run on a custom 32 channel PWM supply, 12 hr/day from 5% to 75%~85%

My current fixture runs 2x54 2hr 6x54 4hr 8x54 4hr 2x54 2hr, 200+1200+1600+200=3200watt 3.2 kWhr for 12hr, I'm calculating this right ?

Lot of question in my minds, optics? arrangement? splash guard? fan? Life expectancies?

That's all for today, will be back, comment's, suggestion's, feedback welcome.

I just built a 108w fixture using Cree LEDs and optics. I recommend the makers led heat sink from led group buy. It comes with fans and a splash guard. I also used invitronics drivers. I haven't had corals under it for long but it sure can make the algae grow.

One, I loved the RapidLED heat sink that was pre-drilled. I would not get the splash guard if you do get optics. Regardless of the LEDs you have, I would recommend you get some kind of optics. I have mine about 8" over my water and I'm using 80 degree optics. The SPS just love the LED but I burned some one of my softies and almost killed off the unkillable-some green star polips because I had it turned up too high to start.

You may also have a much more white looking tank with that much white. I have a a 2x1 3w blue to 3w white and it is still pretty white, but I have chinese knock-offs (bridgelux LEDs). I also don't have my blues and white on separate drivers... so I can't tune it.

My LED's are on the way :)
Decided to go with LEDGroudBuy instead of RapidLED, both company agreed to give me %10 discount but the final blow was the Heat-Sink, I think the Makers Heat Sink look so much nicer than the pre-drilled RepidLED's.
Talked today a local machining shop and they will die it Red?/Black?/Blue?, the anodized look will be make it even look better.

So it will have 4x 12" module, each with 1xCREE XP-E Red 3W, 3xTrue Violet 3W, 14xCREE XT-E Royal Blue 3W, 6xCREE XM-L White 5W, 1xTurquoise 3W = 72Watt
No optics at this time, will see how it look, close to 300W toned down to 50-75% should be enough and so much less power consumption.

Here is my proposed arrangement for the led's, the Turquoise not displayed cause only got them by mistake, "forgot to remove it from the shopping cart:eek: ", I might just stuck it in the third row between the 3 blue's.

v0SLf.gif

Got my leds and heat-sink, heat sink in the shop for anodizing.
Drivers on the way to, 40x adjustable from 200ma to 1500ma, PWM dimable, based on CAT4101 IC.

Some pic of the heatsink.
0I880.jpg

8qu4P.jpg

u2dDU.jpg

Last night I put together one of the test driver, unfortunate the 2 biggest supplier out of stock of this parts "CAT4101" so ordered some sample from the manufactures.
This is just a durability test, ran it for 5 hr above max current with a 20w LED @1.5A
Works great, got up to 62C without fan. Now just waiting for more parts, got to love eBay prices but sure hate the 4 week shipping.

P9MAN.jpg

0gnp4.jpg

OyNmW.jpg

Quick update.

Still working on the software, the main controller will be a ARM based windows ce6 dev kit, finally got it figured out. Each module will have 10ch 12bit PWM up to 1.2Amp, at this time they will connect to the main controlled on RS485 multi node interface, will try to upgrade it later to Bluetooth.
The power source will be 650W Modified PC ATX power supply. The main controller will be able to monitor each led modules fan speed and temperature.
As for now created a small SQL database for the led data, can be update for each led module with 1 minute increment. At this time won't be connected to web nor wifi, hopping to add that later.

Waiting 4 more package of various components from china, 3-4 week shipping but can't complain since I got most of the parts for fraction what I would of paid locally.

Will be updating again in about a week or two.

Attachments

• image-1122551080.jpg
    image-1122551080.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 179
All this sound genius. Wish I was I knew how to do that stuff. Can led light grow plants. Anyone know yet?

I'm looking into doing this for my tank in the near future. debating on 10 3w Leds ranging from 6k -12k, or 4-6 10w Leds ranging from 6k to 12k. Still doing some research on drivers thinking I may want to go for one that has a dimmer.

And yes Leds can and will grow plants, based on all the led grow light vids I've seen on youtube I'd say it's getting to be very popular with a certain underground farming culture.... I'll leave it at that...

You should look into the CAT4101 drive IC.
$2 a pcs, can be PWM dimmed, can drive 6-7 3w led up to 1amp, only one external components required.
images

You should look into the [URL="http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/CAT4101-D.PDF"/]"CAT4101" drive IC.
$2 a pcs, can be PWM dimmed, can drive 6-7 3w led up to 1amp, only one external components required.
images

Thanks for the info while I can understand some of this diagram I'm not to up to snuff on my electronics I'll have to find someone I know who is much better at this stuff then I am to explain this in more detail (simplified terms).

I found a few kits on ebay that can tun a max of 7 3 watt leds complete with driver unfortunately they cannot be dimmed

I have made a prototype ~last week and a Chinese company making for me 10x dual layer version, with better heat dissipation, one board have 5 channel. Total cost including header, pot, IC, PCB, under $15, again like most other item from China it will arrive in about 2-3 week.... There is a no win-win situation, as soon as I upgrade to faster shipping, like DHL or FedEX the cost will triple..grrr

I used to order a lot of parts from Hong Kong so I'm very familiar with the shipping times.

I'm still looking at getting one of the kits I saw on ebay 8 3w leds on one driver for around 30$. just wondering if it will be enough light for a planted tank, Since I haven't played with anything higher then a 1 watt led and that was years ago Not quite sure how much light I can reasonably expect to get from that kit, or if I would need 2 or more to achieve the light levels I need to grow plants in a 55g tank.

My head hurts trying to keep up with these terms and abbreviations. Where can I get started learning about building lights and other electronic equipment? I've always wanted to know how my equipment works and how I can build my own or upgrade what I have.

Progress report.

Module one partially assembled, this is 3 royal blue out of 12.
iPhone goes blind above 50% brightness.

Attachments

• image-1458890050.jpg
    image-1458890050.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2796797893.jpg
    image-2796797893.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom