DIY screen top for 35 gallon hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcutl002

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank without top

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462658694.774383.jpg

Here is all of the parts:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462658576.857557.jpg

Putting the pieces together, inserting the screen and placing on top

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462658619.508180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! I recently made one too!

Please ignore my sons toothbrush :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool. I have screens on three tanks now. My ten gallon is the only one with a glass top.

Screens are totally the way to go!

Not finding one of your favorite fish on the floor is a huge plus!

Glass tops also don't help gas exchange and block light. Especially when they get dirty. And if you have some like mine which I had to prop up for my overflow/return then it leaves a huge hole for jumpers.

The mesh tops block little light..you still get the gas exchange and they help keep jumping fish in the tank! I was able to make the frame go right up around my pipes for maximum coverage

Edit: AND they are cheap! I spent less then $30 and still have enough materials left over to make a couple extras

Quite a coincidence: I just watched a video on making a screen that has me wanting to do this for my 20-long. I get frustrated by how much light gets blocked by my glass lid and its *brown* hinge.

I shouldn't surprised, but I'm impressed this could be done easily for a hex tank. :cool:

Quite a coincidence: I just watched a video on making a screen that has me wanting to do this for my 20-long. I get frustrated by how much light gets blocked by my glass lid and its *brown* hinge.

I shouldn't surprised, but I'm impressed this could be done easily for a hex tank. :cool:

Give it a shot! Just make sure you get the clear mesh for best results!

What's the best way to run lights to the screen tops? Any pics would help thanks all. David

If you have something like Finnex or Current then it is not a problem: those type of lights hang over the edge. For T5HO you may have to cut off the innermost part of the bracket or hang them from the ceiling. For canister pipes I leave a small gap in the back. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom