DIY sump/refuge...baffle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
what did you guys/girls use for baffles? if you use acrylic, what size/thickness sheet did you use?? local store has .093 and .220 thickness sheets

Im going to be using the .220 thickness plexiglass lindsay. The .093 thickness is too thin/flimsy in my opinion besides i plan to make a overflow with the remaining plexiglass

I just went to lowes and had glass cut. It's pretty thin but I haven't had any issues. It's just Over 1/16"

Really cheap. Take your measurements in and they will cut it to what u want. I think for 2 baffles it was like 6 bucks

h8z2luze said:
Really cheap. Take your measurements in and they will cut it to what u want. I think for 2 baffles it was like 6 bucks

Oh wow ill definitely have to look into that for sure. Do you remember the type of epoxy you used to secure them?

I used the DAP brand aquarium safe silicone it's in a green tube. But aqueon is better I hear.

Lindsay1718 said:
Quick add on question, does the baffle height need to be top level my protein skimmer can be in?

That's preferred but if that doesn't give you a high enough water level then you can build a skimmer stand out of eggcrate/acrylic

Agreed. I didn't have to build a stand for mine just made my water level 10"

You need it to be at least as high as the minimum water level for the skimmer. A stand will only help you adjust the water level if it's too high... it won't help you if it's not high enough.

mfdrookie516 said:
You need it to be at least as high as the minimum water level for the skimmer. A stand will only help you adjust the water level if it's too high... it won't help you if it's not high enough.

Ya I should of been a bit more clear I meant if building to the water level of the skimmer leaves excess room in your sump you can prop it up on a stand to add water volume to your system.

Imo I would build a 2-3" stand to have your first baffle around 10" to allow for a couple more gallons in your sump

Sounds good. One more thing my setup is going to be water enters through filter sick into protein skimmer department then bubble trap, then refugium, the return w/ filter bag of charcoal. My question is I wanted to put a sponge somewhere in it to be able to seed my quarantine tank, any suggestions where that should go? Thanks.

Lindsay

Put it inbetween the baffles so all water must flow through it to get to the return pump

Back
Top Bottom