Do barbs eat shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bioworldmaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experience with Tiger barbs and Ghost shrimp together in the same tank? I was wondering if the shrimp would become food for the fish...

Most likely they would, depending upon how much cover the shrimps have. It would really be just a matter of time, though.

I have first-hand experience with Tiger Barbs and 'ghost shrimp'. I bought 10 tiny 'ghost shrimp' as live food for my Tiger Barbs. They killed and ate 5 of them within the first two days. The remaining 5 escaped and found hiding places. They proceeded to eat...and grow...and eat....and grow...and eat....and....well, you get the idea. Now I've got 5 enormous 'ghost shrimp' which turned out not to be 'ghost shrimp' at all but rather are long-armed shrimp (Macrobranchium). One of them is easily 4 inches long and is the terror of the tank...stealing food directly from the fish. Everything in the tank makes way for him and he uses his pincers with great effect if they don't move fast enough! I'd love to get all 5 of them out of the aquarium and into one of their own but they are VERY fast and are experts at hiding in my heavily planted tank and I don't want to tear it apart just to take them out.

Back
Top Bottom