Do Cardinal Tetras require floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read they prefer them, do they require them? I see tanks all the time with neon and cardinal tetras with no floating plants

No, but they like the cover. Their natural habitat is not brightly lit like an aquarium. It's full of tannins and leaf litter that block a lot of natural light.

Tetras

I've read they prefer them, do they require them? I see tanks all the time with neon and cardinal tetras with no floating plants

Hello fish...

Heavily planted tanks especially those with areas of healthy floating plants make the fish feel secure and comfortable in the tank. Thick floating plants like Anacharis, Pennywort and Hornwort make good hiding places for small, bullied fish as well as security for berthing females and their fry. Floating plants are needed to help maintain pure water conditions between large, frequent water changes. These plants take most of their food, dissolved nitrogen, from fish waste through their leaves. Large surface areas taken up with these plants, take in a lot of nutrients. That's probably why you don't see much algae in tanks with an abundance of floating plants in the tank. They use up the food to the point there's nothing left to sustain the algae. Another benefit is, these plants are readily available at the pet store and are dirt cheap!

B

If you can find a dwarf lily, I highly suggest it. I found one that's red and purple colored. Grows like mad even in low light. Gonna need to make sure it stays in its half of the tank, cuz they can easily block out their portion of the tank's worth of light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would you ever say this to a medium-light folk: "absolutely do not buy cardinal or neon tetras without floating plants"?

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

Would you ever say this to a medium-light folk: "absolutely do not buy cardinal or neon tetras without floating plants"? Sent from my mobile aquarium device
no, I have both without floating plants.. Just lots of other plants at various levels of the aquarium, they seem to like it..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom