Do grey blackworms mean they are dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
The darker ones are clearly living but the grey colored ones seem like they are dead maybe? Yes they have a bit of an odor. Just using the confirmed live ones and rinsing well until I hear back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442981213560.jpg
    1442981213560.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 75
I let them warm up a bit and they were gonners. I got out the live ones and rinsed the rest down the sink. Not sure what I did wrong.

I'm not sure how I never saw this thread, but yes, they are dead. Black worms need cooler temps like white worms do. When I had the big fishroom going, I had acquired a monster energy drink cooler(coolest fridge you've ever seen lol), I set it to about 55 and drilled a hole small enough for airline tubing and sealed it with silicone. I actually had to feed the buggers when I ordered by the pound because they would last forever.

So I don't always have a lot of sense and I kept them in my fridge in a container with not even a half inch of water covering them. I rinsed daily or everyother on occasion. I assumed there would be enough air in the plastic container. It was a cheap sandwich gladware thing and isn't air tight. So are you saying they needed more air than I provided?

So I don't always have a lot of sense and I kept them in my fridge in a container with not even a half inch of water covering them. I rinsed daily or everyother on occasion. I assumed there would be enough air in the plastic container. It was a cheap sandwich gladware thing and isn't air tight. So are you saying they needed more air than I provided?

I kept mine in more water so a little flow was necessary, but if I could find a cheap chiller, I would culture them in a tank again.

Ah. See the guy I usually buy them from at the swaps tells me only put a bit of water in because they can drown. I have no idea then what I did wrong to have such a huge die off after it must been a week or week and a half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ah. See the guy I usually buy them from at the swaps tells me only put a bit of water in because they can drown. I have no idea then what I did wrong to have such a huge die off after it must been a week or week and a half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've never had an issue with drowning, but the small amount of water thing may go back to when another worm was popular. I can't remember what they are called but they needed atmospheric air or they would die.

Yeah that's what this guy always tells me! He specifically said thay air was as important as water. So I spent $18 on organic blackworms and tossed over half. He used to have a biz partner and one of them is a member here but rarely posts.

Edit - come to think of it the lfs told me the same thing about only using a little water too. Of course they sell two ounce cups for $4 so in use that in one to two days.

Back
Top Bottom