Do hair algae and slimy algae have the same cause?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trnewsom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have always had some hair algae but it's not too bad and I can deal with it, but now I have this green, slimy, stringy, algae growing. It has air bubbles in it and it seems to bother any coral it gets on. It vacuumed out easily but is pretty much back the next day. I would love some input on this.

You are correct, they DO have the same cause. This means they have the same solution. Removing/cutting back nutrients into the system. There are links to 2 articles on algae issues in my signature. Just add manual removal before/during water changes and go from there.

You are correct, they DO have the same cause. This means they have the same solution. Removing/cutting back nutrients into the system. There are links to 2 articles on algae issues in my signature. Just add manual removal before/during water changes and go from there.

This slimy stuff can really only be vacuumed. Can't really grab it. I'll check out the articles. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom