Do heaters need protective covers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

I am in the middle of a massive aquarium rebuild and the new setup will have my heater out in the open of the tank (used to be in water column). My question is do you guys put covers on them to protect the fish/snails from getting burned, or is this really not an issue?

Thanks!

Really not am issue. Just get a quality heater and you shouldn't have to give it a second thought. I like the aqueon pro, they're accurate and made of a durable plastic not glass

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 150 watt heater made by Fluval I was going to use. I just did not want anyone burned. Long story short, I got rid of my in-water filter that also housed my heater (in my tank pictures), and am switching over to the Fluval 206 canister that will arrive today. This now means the heater is out in the open.

Now my biggest issue is getting rid of the dust from the Fluorite substrate I will be using.

Which fluorite? The powdery stuff?

I am putting the Fluorite Sand as a bottom layer, and the Fluorite Dark as the top layer. Sand has been a PAIN, to where after three days I have just said thats as good as it will get. Fluorite Dark was not as bad to get the dust out.

I am also putting in more Mopani wood that I have been curing for the past week although I know tannins will still be leaching when I put it in on Saturday.

Cool, that's what I did. I used an aqua soil in between though. That sand is a freaking mess looking for a place to happen.

Back
Top Bottom