Do I dare... get a dwarf gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have one blue dwarf male in our tank and my husband calls him a "puppy dog fish" he has always come up to to "talk" to my husband when he is by the tank and will follow him around it, moreso than just for food. They're buddies haha

As far as being more sensitive, we mistakenly did a "fish in cycle" so to speak (used water conditioners, bacteria in a bottle, etc) and added our DG almost immediately and he is still doing great. So, either we got really lucky or they're hardier than believed.

Aww, that's so cute!

I was talking to another guy at PetSmart buying DGs and he said his have all been fine. I think certain things have just made me so paranoid. I hope this turns out well 'cause he's CUTE! I think it's a he... I have no idea...

I think the dwarfs they sell in the stores are all males. The females are less colorful and pretty bland from what I could find online.

greetings.

i tried buying some dwarf gouramis once, 2 females 1 male. all died mysteriously within a week.

females are grey and bland.

OK, so I probably have a male.

I have a 14-day guarantee from PetSmart, so I at least have a little backup.

14 day garantee?? my LFS only gives 3 days lol.

and he's the one with the lengthiest garantee of all the fish stores around.

Fishy monkey said:
That's just what I've read on here, like I said I bought some after cycling and they were fine til my own errors crashed my cycle.

About the tetras and sensitive fish... I had 5 neon tetras after getting 3 cories. It lasted a week, two died after a day and when there were 3, one went nuts and started chasing the others. I was planning to get more, but a few days after that they all had ich. I marched back to the store and dropped them off! The water was fine, but I have a high ph. (7.6) I've had no problem with yellow phantom tetras. The people at the lfs said neons are notorious for being extremely fragile and need a well established tank and slow acclimation. I agree and add that they need a lower ph most likely...

Can't go wrong if you quarantine! Good idea and good luck with your new fish!

Here he is. He's being shy, but I don't blame him. He's so pretty.

dwarf%2520gourami.JPG

callisto9 said:
Well, he/she is home! They don't look as vibrant in PetSmart, but I watched them and picked out the most lively one. He's in the QT tank now, being acclimated.

Is dwarf gourami disease contagious?

Yay! how exciting :) post pics I can't wait to see him. I don't know about dg disease being contagious ill have to google that 1

Yay! how exciting :) post pics I can't wait to see him. I don't know about dg disease being contagious ill have to google that 1
Ah, I just saw all your posts come in! He's so pretty! He looked kinda pale at PetSmart, but seems better here.

I don't think DG disease is contagious to other fish, but I want to be sure.

Ahisma said:
The people at the lfs said neons are notorious for being extremely fragile and need a well established tank and slow acclimation. I agree and add that they need a lower ph most likely...

Thanks, I was beginning to think I'd made it all up! :)

Day two - ALIVE! :dance:

He's so cute. Fed him some New Life Spestrum pellets which he happily ate. I think this little dude is going to be my favorite fish. I hope he doesn't have DGD.

Back
Top Bottom