Do I have to quarantine Amano shrimp ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boffer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do you guys quarantine Amano shrimp, or do you just dump them in the tank?

Loaded question, everyone's answer will be different.

Questions to ask yourself:

What do you value your current livestock at?
What are the costs associated with setting up a quarantine tank for the shrimp?
Are the water parameters vastly different from the store tank and your tank?

Best practice would be to quarantine.
Worst would be to just dump them in.
In between is what most would do, buying from a reputable source is a huge key in reducing potential risk.

I do not quarantine, and I've been burned before with a mass wipe out from a nasty bacteria / fungus.

Loaded question, everyone's answer will be different.

Questions to ask yourself:

What do you value your current livestock at?
What are the costs associated with setting up a quarantine tank for the shrimp?
Are the water parameters vastly different from the store tank and your tank?

Best practice would be to quarantine.
Worst would be to just dump them in.
In between is what most would do, buying from a reputable source is a huge key in reducing potential risk.

I do not quarantine, and I've been burned before with a mass wipe out from a nasty bacteria / fungus.

Maybe it's best to quarantine I have aquascape and I don't want to redo it if I get a bacteria infection

I have a quarantine aquarium ready to go, but if it was not necessary to quarantine the Amano Shrimp, I would have had bought some more fish to quarantine, I'm still staking my aquarium.

Also I have 7 guppys, and 1 Catfish Dwarf sucker.

So i have a long way to the fish shop, I want to buy as many as possible at the same time, can I buy 4 Amano Shrimp, 1 Honey gourami, 4 Panda Corys, and put them in my quarantine tank I do have a lot of bio Media in the quarantine tank like 1 liter, I'm just worrying about ammonia spice, how many would you recommend?

That's probably fine, just be prepared for large water changes in the quarantine tank if ammonia becomes an issue.

Have Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe on hand.

Watch parameters closely if you're worried.

That's probably fine, just be prepared for large water changes in the quarantine tank if ammonia becomes an issue.

Have Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe on hand.

Watch parameters closely if you're worried.

Okay thanks for the answer :)

Back
Top Bottom