do i look healthy or unhealthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im pretty sure thats a common pleco, though its not easy to tell certain species apart and there are a few species that go by that name. He could be pale because he is stressed. My pleco's have always been really dark colored.

How long have you been in the tank? My otocinclus have a similar color until they really set in!

I have a BN pleco. When I do PWC he get pale, then darkens up again when he get comfy again. He might also just be a little lighter then usual.

Yep, I agree that it's most likely a common pleco.
They have a lot of variation in color. They can range in color from pitch black to a light brown color.
I actually have two commons that live in my pond. One is a charcoal grey color and the other is tan.
If it was darker in the store then it is probably just adjusting to the new environment !

I don't know how long he has been there..he lives in a 10g tank in the dinning hall at my grandma's assisted living apartment building... I started caring for the tank 2 ½ weeks ago... from what I hear the tank has had a rough past

5 gold fish at a time (eek) when they would die they were just replacing them!! no water conditioner. never cleaned the filter media, water changes were non existent, just top offs when the tank because ½ empty from evaporation!!! no gravel cleaning, NOTHING!

so sad, initially I cleaned the gravel by syphoning/vacuumed 15g of water, 5g at a time. replaced the filter pad. added a variety of plants...6 days later I did 8 more gallons of waterchange/ vacuumed gravel. ALWAYS adding Prime before refill. added driftwood hiding place for the pleco and added 4 of my juvenile guppies ( unsexed) ~ ½-¾ inch each. also added a large bag of gravel 15 or 20 lbs..( there was only 5 lbs of very small sized in there prior, just enought to cover the bottom)

so I know I need to rehome the pleco, what else should I do?

will 4 adult guppies be to much for a 10g??

four guppies would be fine as long as they are the same gender. :>
And yes, you should rehome the pleco ASAP

Morgie said:
four guppies would be fine as long as they are the same gender. :>
And yes, you should rehome the pleco ASAP

I have about 40 juvenile guppies so once I can swap them out ... I will make sure there is 4 females in there :)

I should be able to get the pleco rehomed in a week or so.. is there any type of pleco that can live in a 10g?

rreekers said:
I have about 40 juvenile guppies so once I can swap them out ... I will make sure there is 4 females in there :)

I should be able to get the pleco rehomed in a week or so.. is there any type of pleco that can live in a 10g?

No, no plecos in a 10g. I'd get shrimp and snails for a tank that size.

No, there really isn't a pleco that can live in a 10g
If you want another type of algae eater you could try a trio of otos, but I've never had any luck with them in tanks smaller than 20 gallons.
It can work though !

wonderful

I have never kept shrimp before .. can you mix any types of shrimp ( for variety) or is it only recommended to get one kind? also how many could I get? what kind would do best in a 10g

rreekers said:
wonderful

I have never kept shrimp before .. can you mix any types of shrimp ( for variety) or is it only recommended to get one kind? also how many could I get? what kind would do best in a 10g

You can mix different kinds. I'd start with 10-12 because they will probably breed and you'll get more. Any that aren't filter feeders.

Some shrimp are filter feeders, like bamboo shrimp. But many other shrimp like ghost shrimp and rcs and scavengers. Scavengers are mush easier to keep alive, especially in a small tank like that once. :)
IME, you can do a pair of otos in a 10, but they can be a bit finicky, so I don't recommend them for this tank since you won't be there to monitor it all the time. :)

rreekers said:
filter feeders?

Oh sorry. Bamboo and vampire shrimp (if memory serves me correctly, we don't have them here) are filter feeders. They have a 'fan' they use to filter microorganisms out of the water. A 10g won't supply enough food for them. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Some shrimp are filter feeders, like bamboo shrimp. But many other shrimp like ghost shrimp and rcs and scavengers. Scavengers are mush easier to keep alive, especially in a small tank like that once. :)
IME, you can do a pair of otos in a 10, but they can be a bit finicky, so I don't recommend them for this tank since you won't be there to monitor it all the time. :)

Ah. There you go! ^^^^ :)

Back
Top Bottom