Do I need a glass top on tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carberarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just came across the conclusion that I probably need some sort of top on my 26 bow tank. I am planning on using a Current Nova Extreme Pro system, but dont see it safe to have it over only water. Where do I get a glass top for an aquarium like mine??

Glass is good for keeping things from jumping out, but filtering light thru glass is not a good thing, it does take away and minimize alot of the bulbs benifiting construction.

Most reef tanks dont have tops for this reason.

I dont have one on mine either. Glass tops promote low PH due to poor gas exchange at the surface. Check into some netting over the top instead. I seen I think it was innovator (James) had a link on his sig area on some.

I have glass top on my 90.gal. tank.I had a creat but water was splashing too much. I keep my return nozle < return from sump> really high so it can break really good .So it is not nessesarly to moving that surface.How you guys do this. I really want to take off thouse tops. Sorry for interference.

Almost all of my tanks are open top. Actually all of them except my 55G which only has one hood on it not two.

I've oonly had one experience with fish jumping out, normally fish won't leave the tank if it's in good condintion and they are gettin food.

yea.. i took mine off simply because i got tired of opening it all the time lol then i found out about gas exchange and just left it off, I jut do fill my tank up to the brim so to speak but i have a tall tank so i can do that, you might not have that option is your tank is short depending on your filtration set up

I bought white plastic eggcrate in a 2' x 4' sheet, made for flourescent light fixtures, and cut it to fit. It cut nicely without cracking. They come in white, clear, metal, you name it. I kept the plumbing openings small, only big enough for the plumbing and cords, and if you are concerned about overflows, you can cut pieces to fit them as well.

One note on eggcrate. Be aware that they have a top and a bottom. One side bevels in and one side bevels out. So one side will spread, that's a no no, and the other side pinpoints the light straight down into the tank.
This is what I did;
img_977392_0_0b691fe412aa0ad5b3b9ff95cdb4cec7.jpg

Thanks Mel and yes, check my sig. For future references I would stay away from framing any netting with aluminum or metal and stick with acrylic or other plastic material in making/creating a frame.

Back
Top Bottom