Do I need actinic light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75g fowlr tank. My question is do I really need actinic lighting? The light has 4 bulbs(2 54w 12000k t5ho's)(2 54w actinic bulbs). It wouldn't bother me to see them gone and replace with 2 more t5's 12000k bulbs. The blueish look isn't that important to me. If I need it I will run it, but if not I will replace them.

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

I use VHO`s and use 2 50/50 and 2 super actinic. Actinics are not just for looks. I like to use them because in the reef the part of the spectrum that makes it down there is blue. I will always use an actinic. There are some I know that dont agree but that`s my opinion anyway.

I don't have a reef setup, but is it possible for it to help with certain beneficial life( bacteria, algae, etc.) I can't seem to find anything around the internet that gives a use for actinic lights. I guess I'll start using it some to see if any difference is made. But, if there is no difference, I may just replace the bulbs.

No, you don't need the actinics with 12k bulbs. The 12k bulbs have enough light in the blue spectrum.

True actinics (420nm) are good reef setups as corals need intense equatorial UVA (actinic) lighting. The blue penetrates deepest in water while red is the first wavelegth that is filtered out. That's why so many deep water items appear red under lights, but appear black underwater without supplemental lighting.

Back
Top Bottom