Do I need more lightings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojo75931

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 12 gallon long mr.aqua(36x8.5x9.5) and I have a finnex fudgeray planted(+). About 7000k light. I was wondering if it enough for highlight carpet like dwarf tears and dwarf hairgrass. Do I need more? If I do what should I get.

Sent from my D6503 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That should do it, got gas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup.. that's enough. Just get the CO2 (gas, as brook so eloquently put it) and a good comprehensive fertilizer regimen. Substrate would help too. Which is, btw?

Yes. I do have a 5lb co2 tank. I'm new to co2. I just set it up Thursday. I'm still have trouble with the bubble and the solenoid. I use Eco Caribean substrate and Up aqua shrimp substrate on top. I use root tabs for fertilizer. Idk how to do the chemical dose. Help?

I have some DBT and some DHG I want to have like full carpet. I also have a question, Supposely turning off the solenoid will turn off your co2? But when I turn mine off there are still a little bit of bubble coming off from the tank->bubble counter->diffuser. Very slowly. does that mean that there are some gas left in the tube and pushing out or gas from the tank?

Btw thank you guys for helping me, I am truly appreciate your help. :)

Attachments

• 1413042675646.jpg
    1413042675646.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 89
You have a decent substrate, but since it's not a nutrient packed one, that was good you added root tabs. However, a lot of your plants appear to be column feeders, so dosing with liquid ferts (mixed from dry ferts, micros and macros) would be highly recommended. Sure you can buy pre-mixed liquids (ie. Seachem or pfertz) but you'll end up spending more in the long run. With that said, I recommend the pps-pro dosing method. It involves mixing dry ferts into liquids for easy dosing. Plus, it's much more economical and well-rounded than the commercially purchased stuff. You'll just need to order a bottle of excel and a digital gram scale. Pretty inexpensive off Amazon.

Here's a couple of links:

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/pps-pro-fertilizer-package.html

http://blog.greenleafaquariums.com/2013/02/28/our-new-pps-pro-fertilizer-pack-just-mix-dose/

*note: the excel is used to add 5ml to every 250ml in the micro solution to help prevent mold.

As for the solenoid valve. Yes, it's meant to stop the flow of CO2. It's normal to have a little CO2 flow after it's been triggered. But probably not longer than 10 minutes after. If you're still getting CO2 seeping after the fact, there could be something blocking it from closing all the way. Or it could just be defective. What regulator do you have?

BTW, nice rimless tank! :)

First thank you for your post. And thank you for the comment on the tank, I really appreciate it. I use a Aquatek delux regulator, new. I was using excel before. The co2. I want to grow them bushy somewhat like the (image below.) May I ask you what do you mean like column feeders?

Attachments

• 1413061971447.jpg
    1413061971447.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 87
There are two main categories in the context of aquatic plants in terms of the way they uptake nutrients: root feeders vs. column feeders (some can do both, to what degree I'm uncertain). Column feeding, meaning water column feeding, is taking the nutrients above the substrate.. so root tabs will do little for those plants. Most fast growing stem plants are column feeders. Most in that example pic that inspires you are stem plants that are column feeders, require moderate to high light, CO2, and a comprehensive dosing regimen (EI or PPS-PRO, for example).

Plants like crypts or swords with robust root structures fall in the root feeder category. Root tabs would benefit these plants.

If your Aquatek is new, I'd look into an exchange as it sounds defective if you're still getting CO2 after the solenoid valve has be actuated.

Oh ok. I still don't know which/where to plant the plants so they can cordinate one another. :-( love planted tank but know soooo little. And like you said after 15m there is no more bubbles. :) I never use co2 before so idk what's going on.

Btw both links you gave me, I should buy both micro and liquid ones? And then mix them together? Lol thought I would be done with CO2 system but now there is more. There's always more. Gosh! Planted tank are sooooo demanding

I have an AquaTek Premium and it runs for a little while after the solenoid closes. Not sure how long. Not sure if this is an answer to you question, but I would buy from GLA:
PPS Pro dry fert mix
3 500mL bottles
In addition (not from GLA): 1 gallon of Metricide 14 (2x as strong as Excel and much less expensive)
Drop checker plus indicator fluid
Food scale that measures in grams

There's always something more to buy! But after while you will go into cruise control. And just sit back and watch and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes those are the answer I'm looking for. Thank you. Btw what is the Excel/Metricide for? Do I mix it with the dry dirt instead of RO water? What does it do. I heard that if you mix the fert, the solution only stay a while until mold builds up.

In the context of dry ferts, a small amount is added to the micro mix to prevent mold growth. Not sure how long it stays active (as an inhibitor).
Dry ferts are formulated to be mixed with DI water (to eliminate the variations in minerals present in tap water). I am not sure if it makes a difference if RO water is used.

There's always something more to buy! But after while you will go into cruise control. And just sit back and watch and enjoy.

What's "a while"??? I'm a fee months deep and still donating to amazon on the reg.... haha, good thing finnex isn't releasing new lighting in a month..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I guess I'm stoping at the carpet plants and the fert. No need to over do like the pros. No money :-(

Lol I guess I'm stoping at the carpet plants and the fert. No need to over do like the pros. No money :-(

Yah, right. With BrianNano and Brookster on this thread. Like having a little devil on your shoulder whispering "Buy it! Buy it!"
In all seriousness, those two along with others on this forum have been invaluable resources for any plant/tank related questions and issues as well as product reviews.

Oh yeah I have seen Brian's tank. Lol that's a, well, a heep of money. Gosh! Why is it sooo expensive. That's why I was going down from 55 to a 12 gal hoping to save some money....:( I guess I'm spending more money

There is not much more to get if you already have a decent light and a CO system. The ferts and glut are not that expensive and both will last a very long time. My 24 oz CO2 tank lasted 4 months. Your 5 lb (80 oz) tank should last a long time as well.

Oh I don't mind buying fert, I just want to have a full carpet(main goal) and healthy colorfull plants. Btw what are glut? Where do I buy them. Don't mind me asking. I still haven't learn enough lol :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom