Do I need to start over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdma99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Unfortunately, my daughter won a goldfish at a fair. I didn't know a thing about fish tanks, but did some research and discovered the whole "cycling" process. But we already had the fish, and initially had him in a 1 gallon tank for one day which made his fins turn a bit brown. After reading up on goldfish, I quickly went out and bought a 10 gallon tank and have been trying to keep up on the water and changing it daily, but the poor little thing died today. After all the research and equipment purchased, I would like to get more fish after I cycle the tank correctly.

My question is, should I clean out the tank and start over, or leave the tank as it is and cycle it? Should I clean part of it out? I'm not sure why he died -- the brown on his fins wasn't getting any worse, I was watching the ph (admittedly I realize I need a more thorough test kit) and he seemed to be doing well, even an hour before he died :( -- but if he was sick, would it be bad to continue on and put more fish in the same tank once it's cycled?

I just want to make sure I do it properly this time since I clearly didn't initially. I don't know why they allow those fairs to give away goldfish, 99% must end up dead within a week since now I know you can't just bring a fish home totally unprepared ... But I was trying to do the best I could and mine only lasted 8 days; I can only imagine most people see it as a novelty prize and don't even bother.

Thanks!

Goldfish that are won at events, like fairs, have often been jostled, kept in too warm conditions in too small of containers, etc. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are when you get the fish, it dies because of the trauma. So, it probably wasn't your fault. However, since you don't know if the trauma an shock had somehow made him weak enough to get a disease, I would clean the tank. Better safe than sorry.

Goldfish that are won at events, like fairs, have often been jostled, kept in too warm conditions in too small of containers, etc. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are when you get the fish, it dies because of the trauma. So, it probably wasn't your fault. However, since you don't know if the trauma an shock had somehow made him weak enough to get a disease, I would clean the tank. Better safe than sorry.

+1 here !!! Myself, I would toss the media and bleach the tank with a 10% mix with filter running. It's small enough 4 hours of cycling should be plenty. Drain the tank and run fresh water for another 4 hours. Drain again and allow to air dry for a day. Fill it with water and start a new cycle. Here's one
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/
And another http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
While it's cycling, look for fish that interest the family that will fork for that tank. Here's one http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/top-10-for-the-10gallon-tank.htm and another http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Stocking_a_10_Gallon_Tank
I would also recommend a liquid test kit as the strips are not the best.

now, dont give in to the temptation of getting cool fish. Take time to research the fish as you go. I have a habit(esp when I was newer to aquariums) to go to the fish store and impulsively buy fish...

now, dont give in to the temptation of getting cool fish. Take time to research the fish as you go. I have a habit(esp when I was newer to aquariums) to go to the fish store and impulsively buy fish...

I also had that problem, see something cool and without doing research just buy it instantly. I agree with the others, clean out whatever you had in the tank and cycle the tank while you figure out what you want to stock the tank with. (y) Best of luck!

haha, so true. I bought a 20 gallon tank thinking i would have a cool "shark tank". Then i did research:banghead: Most cool fish are 55gallon and up. Or Aggressively territorial. I would clean the tank out and do a fishless cycle. Then seriously research what u want and what will do good in your tank, while you wait for tank to be done cycle. Its actually exactly what i did when something killed off my betta, two ghost shrimp, and snail. Better safe than frustrated!!:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom