Do I need to worry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otis Powell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I have some brown algae I think growing on the ocean rock in my tank is this something I need to worry about

Also how is best to remove it either in the tank or do I need to remove the rocks and scrub them

Thanks

IMG_3190.jpg IMG_3189.jpg

Hello Otis...

Some algae is a good thing. It's one of the best means of filtering nitrogen from the water and is edible, and a good supplement to most fish diets. A little is a sign you're keeping a healthy tank. I control algae through weekly large water changes. By simply removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, you remove any added nutrients the fish and aquatic plants don't use. I wouldn't fret over it, just change out most of the water regularly.

B

I agree with BB, but I'll go one step further. Buy a Bristlenose Pleco. I have several tanks decked out with Honeycombed Limestone, very similar to yours. My BN' s do a very good job keeping the rocks white and the glass clear.

I agree with BB, but I'll go one step further. Buy a Bristlenose Pleco. I have several tanks decked out with Honeycombed Limestone, very similar to yours. My BN' s do a very good job keeping the rocks white and the glass clear.

Hi I have a golden nugget pleco on order with my local fish store as I love them will they clear it up or could I also get a bristlenose or will they not play well together

Gold Nuggets are beautiful, but not the best at clearing away algae. Gold Nuggets are wood knawers so you will need a small peice of driftwood. IMO, dark Malaysian driftwood looks best with the limestone. It doesn't have to be a big peice. The GN needs the wood to aid in digestion. BN should be fine with your GN. Both stay small. I agree with Brook. As the algae grows some of your Africans will probably start grazing on it.

Back
Top Bottom