Do I really need a carbon catridge in my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
How important is it if I'm just running things normally (no meds, etc)?

Hi , you should know that Activated Carbon is very useful because it absorbs odors, discoloration and impurities. So your tank will look clear and smell fresh . It said that it also absorbs chlorine from water . Activated Carbon only works
for 4 weeks maximum then it won't absorb anything and you'll have to change it!

However. Althought it's useful , it's not necessary and you can use the cartridge for other purpoeses like extra mechancial filteration ( sponge ) or extra biological filteraton ( ceramic rings ) .

Most aquariums suppliers recommended running carbon for the first two weeks of the aquarium starting up. Then it's down to preference really, I very rarely use it, unless I have used mess etc - Purigen is far far better at keeping water crystal
clear and can be used over and over if you don't use some products that can foul it.

The Need for Carbon Medium

Hello az...

I change out half the water in my tanks weekly and never use carbon (chemical) medium. My guess is, if you do the same, you won't need to use it either.

B

I do a 30-50% water change every week and never use carbon except after I've used meds. I have planted tanks and some say that carbon absorbs some of the trace elements and minerals beneficial to plants.

I never use carbon IMO its not necessary. However I do recommend that you keep some handy as sometimes its needed to remove meds.

Carbon is a waste of money! If you do your weekly changes then you shouldn't be having smells or discoloration. Only time you should need it is when you use medication.

Bbarb27 said:
I do a 30-50% water change every week and never use carbon except after I've used meds. I have planted tanks and some say that carbon absorbs some of the trace elements and minerals beneficial to plants.

Your right carbon will remove the minerals your plants are needing. And if you dose fertilizer, it'll remove that as well.

I only use carbon when removing some meds from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom