Do I really need two heaters for 75 gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoking

Aquarium Advice Regular
It seems many are using two heaters, is this really necessary or overkill ?

I'm leaning towards either the Hydor ETH inline external heater that connects to a canister filter or the JBJ True Temp.

How many watts for 75 gallon 200 ?

It is not necessary, but it is always a good idea in case one fails. That said, I dont run two heaters in my tanks. A 250w should be fine, I run a 200w in my 40 and 300w in my 150 and 125.

The inline heaters are nice, I really wish I had went with one. I have been really happy with my Aqueon Pro heaters from Petsmart... and they're not very pricey.

That heater is a nice unit and will do very well. I wish I could afford them too. The two heaters helps prevent disasters from heater malfunctions.

2 heaters help spread heat across a long tank, but if you keep a single heater near your filters output the flow will keep the tank temp constant across the entire tank IMO/E.

All 4 of my tanks have the Aqueon Pro (50-200w models) and they work great.

I've been using a single 150w for my 75 gallon, mounted behind the filter output and it's been keeping the tank at 77 degrees just fine.

I never thought one 150w would suffice, but I had the temp bumped up to 84 while doing a fishless cycle and it handled that fine as well. And no, it was not running all the time, which surprised me as well :)

I am switching to a hydor ETH this weekend. The only reason is that I'm trying to minimize the hardware in the tank. And I had to get the 300w, for the 5/8th diameter. I just ordered mine from PetMountain at $42... 10-12 cheaper than anyone else.

I plan on keeping the 150 submergible as a backup...

I have two 200w on my 55 gal. I went to that after the single 300w I had in there died when I put new substrate in it and forgot to turn the heater off before... :( At 12.50 a piece from angelsplus you can't beat the redundancy. Temp stays rock solid in my tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom