Do live plants effect the fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in no hurry to put an animal in my tank until I know the water is safe, but I was wondering if I could go ahead and put a plant or two in the tank to be established for when the fish do arrive.

Most plants do fine when you cycle your tank. I have had vals and crypts melt when I cycle my tanks, it could be my water or it could be from cycling I don't know. I do have crypts that seem to do well after I cycle my tank.

I am currently cycling a 5 gal that is full of plants. The ammonia is good for live plants so long as it is not out of control.

The plants will use up some of the ammonia, so you would need to add it more frequently to keep up the levels. OTOH - most plants have some bacteria on them, so the introduction will likely seed your aquarium & speed up the cycle. And established plants in the tank will moderate any ammonia/nitrite spikes should your cycle be incomplete when you add fish. So all in all, I say add the plants.

Back
Top Bottom