Do loud speakers bother fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a decent subwoofer about 5 feet from my aquarium and I like my music loud at times. I'm assuming the fish won't like the boom booming of my subwoofer. Am I right or is this alright?

Yep. Depends on the fish, but a lot will really not like your subwoofer. Gouramis spring to mind, as they're fairly sensitive to noise (most websites advise that you keep them away from high-traffic, loud areas of your house). I've also noticed that my loaches (gangetic) really don't like noise either. Can you see any way of moving the tank?

It's not so much the actual sound from the speakers that bother fish- it's the soundWAVES being conducted through the water. It's very much like the shockwaves sent through an aquarium when a person taps on the glass. A subwoofer is even worse, as those low-end frequency sound waves are very long and can be very distressing for fish. I'd suggest moving the speaker away from the tank immediately.

drop your sub level, or where is it in your place? in relation to the tank? if it it is center move it behind the couch opposite side from the tank, turn down the frequency that should allow your fish friends to be ok... I have an 18" sub in my surround sound.. it's opposite the tank and all good. Good luck :)

I've got a drumset like 8 feet away from my tank, never had any problems, I think the little guys like it.

yeah I have my SWR 4x10 bass cab across the room from my 125.. even when it's thumping the fish don't appear bothered.. they seem to line up and watch!

Back
Top Bottom