Do red cherry shrimp eat the brown algae on aquarium walls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chirikoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WRONG TITLE, this was for another thread.

Anyway, my neon tetras get these lumps on their bellies and have difficulty swimming downwards whenever a feeding session is over.
I've read about NTD, and I'm wondering if this is it? They aren't losing color, and they still are schooling. Or is this simply a case of overfeeding?

And so I don't have to make another thread, here's something about the thread title:
I recently bought 6 cherries for my 5 gallon, and it's really full of brown algae on the glass inside.
So do they? If they don't, would it be okay to use a magnet cleaner on the glass?

Can I take them out for a bit and then scrub the wall, or can they just be inside the tank while I go at it?

chirikoo said:
WRONG TITLE, this was for another thread.

Anyway, my neon tetras get these lumps on their bellies and have difficulty swimming downwards whenever a feeding session is over.
I've read about NTD, and I'm wondering if this is it? They aren't losing color, and they still are schooling. Or is this simply a case of overfeeding?

And so I don't have to make another thread, here's something about the thread title:
I recently bought 6 cherries for my 5 gallon, and it's really full of brown algae on the glass inside.
So do they? If they don't, would it be okay to use a magnet cleaner on the glass?

My blue tetras get the lumps after they've eaten too. so yeah I'd say it was a case if over feeding. Just cut down on the amount. It didn't seem to do mine any harm, just worried me. If they have trouble swimming down, that may be due to compaction. Try feeding peas once a week to help reduce that problem. If you are feeding flakes, try crumbling them up more. I know people suggest soaking the flakes got a few minutes before feeding, but vitamins start leaving out of flakes from the minute they are put in the water, so by the time they are fed to the fish they've lost a lot of their nutritional value. If you want to try feeding something different, I'd recommend hikari micro pellets.they are tiny and are designed for fish with small mouths such as tetras.

Regarding the shrimp, I've never had them before, so I can't advise you on that. A magnet cleaner would work on getting rid of the diatoms though.

Also, if I trim the Java Moss in the tank, will the parameters rise, since there's a ton of stuff in it, or will it be do no harm?

Back
Top Bottom